PappaRich in Sydney!

In the spirit of Malaysia’s elections coming, I will be featuring more Malaysian food found in Sydney here. Somehow, having Malaysian food does make one feel closer to the country, especially when the restaurant is a franchise from Malaysia! Yes, I have previously dined in several Malaysian restaurants that were founded locally in Australia but this one is a restaurant that everyone is familiar with – PappaRich. They have officially landed in Sydney a few weeks ago, and we couldn’t wait to give it a try.

IMG_2953

Roti Canai

As with most newly opened restaurants, there was a long queue in front, mostly Malaysians. It almost felt like we were back home, with all the familiar chatter and familiar faces around us. We were there for lunch, and had to wait about half an hour before we got a table. Service was prompt and friendly, pretty impressive given that it was only opened for barely a week then.

IMG_2955

Full house at Pappa Rich

IMG_2952

The familiar Pappa Rich logo

While waiting for our table, we were given a thick menu and an order chit to place our orders. So by the time we got our table, we just had to pass the order chit to the waitress and wait. Quite efficient in minimizing the turnaround time, I think. Our first order to arrive was the Roti Canai, served with 3 types of sauce – dhal, curry and sambal. I thought the dhal and sambal were good, especially the sambal because it was hot and spicy with a kick! The roti though, lacked the fluffiness that we love. Its texture was more like crispy pastry instead of fluffy bread, so perhaps we might not order this again. We definitely prefer the roti from Mamak, another Malaysian restaurant in Sydney.

IMG_2954

Roti Canai (AUD$5.90)

A dish that several Malaysians recommended was the Penang Char Kuey Teow, which was incidentally my favourite too. I would have ordered this regardless, and was pleased to know that it did not disappoint. One of the main weakness that I found with some of the wanna-be char kuey teow here was the lack of ‘wok hei’ or the slightly charred/burnt taste. The version from Pappa Rich had the wok hei we were looking forward to, but it did lack in terms of spiciness. Perhaps they had toned it down to suit local taste buds? It would have been perfect had it been more spicy, I think. :)

IMG_2957

Char Kuey Teow (AUD$12.50)

Last but not least, Saucer ordered the Nasi Briyani with Red Chicken and Sambal Eggplant, something resembling what you would get from nasi kandar places in Malaysia. The briyani rice was just as fragrant as what we remembered back in Malaysia, and fluffy too. We were very pleased with it. The red chicken or ayam masak merah was fried and mixed with a sweet and spicy gravy that was perfect with the rice. Finally, the egg plant was first deep fried and then mixed with a spicy sambal. Who wouldn’t love that? The crunch of crispy skin mixed with the kick of sambal – yum! Every element in this dish was done right, including the piece of pappadom which was crispy and in a perfect round shape. Both of us couldn’t find any fault with this dish.

IMG_2959

Nasi Briyani with Red Chicken and Eggplant (AUD$12.90)

IMG_2960

Perhaps the closest Nasi Briyani you can find in Sydney

Needless to say, we left the place happy and satiated. Sure the prices are a bit steep compared to Malaysian prices but if we’re going to pay that much anyway for any other meal in Sydney, we might as well spend it on something we love. I’m elated that there’s finally a place that I can go to, to cure my home-sickness for Malaysian food, and one that has plenty of choices! We’ll definitely be back!

IMG_2950

PappaRich Malaysian Delights in Chatswood

PappaRich
1/63A Archer St
Chatswood
NSW 2067 Australia.
Tel No.: (02) 9411 3207
Opening Hours: 11.00am to 10.00pm Monday to Sunday

• 05.01.13

• May 1st, 2013 2:21 PM
    small Kucing

LOL….rindu Malaysian food ya. But i think you can cook the Nasi briyani better lah

Haha once again, you’re over-estimating me! Hehe I haven’t cooked nasi briyani before, maybe you can teach me and I’ll try it out! :)

• May 1st, 2013 3:00 PM
    Sean eat drink kl

Ooo, I wouldn’t have been able to resist ordering the roti canai with Dal and the char kuey teow too … Those are in my top five favorite Malaysian dishes! I would appreciate a chunkier and creamier dal, as well as lots of plump cockles in my char kuey teow, but I guess that’s a matter of preference :D

I agree with you on the dhal.. I guess beggars can’t be choosers now, can we? :P As for CKT, I am not a fan of cockles, so without them it’s fine with me. :)

• May 1st, 2013 5:09 PM

Hey, you are like me.. in western country but eating asian food! I miss our asian food so so much even when I go for holiday.. hahaha..

It’s terrible, isn’t it? Deep down we are still true blue Asians.. haha

• May 1st, 2013 5:18 PM

I quite like the Bukit Bintang outlet in KL but it’s more for the comfort, service and convenience more than anything else. Food’s ok, not bad…but eating it there, must feel like heaven! Long queues??? They had very long ones too when they opened one in Melbourne. No mention of prices? Should be the same as here – just the currency is different and don’t convert, right?

Yes, eating here makes me feel so much closer to home! I did mention the prices in the picture captions. Maybe you missed it! :)

• May 2nd, 2013 11:13 AM
    KY

I’ve never seen anyone so excited about PappaRich. hahaha

Haha I know what you mean! Too bad, we are really deprived of nice Malaysian food here. :P

• May 3rd, 2013 2:28 AM

Oh! Finally get to have some nice Malaysian food! So they are really good? Cos I find the Papparich in Malaysia so so only haha! But definitely better than OldTown! LOL!

Now drooling at that nasi briyani : )

Well of course, it’s not brilliant if compared to all the other Malaysian food eateries you have in Malaysia. But in Sydney, it’s considered pretty darn good for Malaysian food. :)

• May 6th, 2013 11:21 PM

i see mediocre food comes to sydney :P

LOL! Mediocre food to you, but to us in Sydney, it’s as close as it can get to Malaysian food. :)

• May 18th, 2013 11:48 PM
    Winnie @ Bubfriendly

Love love PappaRich! We were there 4 times last week! The queue is still as crazy as ever though!!! I agree on the Roti Canai definitely prefer Mamak’s although the sauces servings I feel we’re more generous at Pappa. The CKT I had lacked flavour and wok her I felt, wasn’t the best I had in Sydney. Looking forward to going back and trying more of their other dishes!

The queue is constantly long! We were there again last weekend and had to queue for about 30 minutes! I think the CKT is not very consistent because the second time I went, it turned out to be a tad too wet. But the nasi briyani is still gorgeous though! :)