My Kind of Breakfast

I’m sure by now you would agree with me that dining out in Sydney is not cheap. Almost every meal costs about AUD$10 per dish, and that is in a food court. In a restaurant or cafe, prices would most certainly be more than that. Which is why I was extremely excited when I found out that I could have a nice and satisfying breakfast for less than AUD$10 each! Located in Carlingford Village, North and South Gourmet doesn’t look like a very appealing restaurant from the outside. If not for the decent crowd we saw inside, we wouldn’t have gone in to try. And boy, were we glad we did!

IMG_2841

My ideal breakfast

Serving breakfast until 11am, North and South Gourmet had a continuous stream of customers heading in and out of the restaurant in the morning. Once we were seated, we were handed a menu filled with a mixture of English and Chinese characters, detailing the different set menus available for breakfast. We almost couldn’t believe it when we saw that the set meals were priced at $6.50 each, including a drink! That’s probably the cheapest meal we found so far in a cafe or restaurant. Without further ado, we ordered a set meal each, which came with a bowl of congee, a choice of noodles or you tiao or cheong fun and a hot drink.

IMG_2832

Pork and Century Egg Congee

Both of us ordered the Pork and Century Egg Congee, which came in a few minutes. The congee was piping hot and smooth, just how we liked it. There was also a decent amount of lean pork and century egg bits inside which gave the congee much flavour. Our little gripe would be that the lean pork was a tad too salty, but I suppose it was deliberate to sort of flavour the congee at the same time.

IMG_2833

Decent amount of century egg and pork slices

The You Tiao or Chinese crullers that came with one of our sets were hot, freshly fried, crispy on the outside and fluffy inside. A plate of you tiao on its own would have cost about $3-4 elsewhere, so we were overjoyed that these were included in the set. I mean, a meal of congee would not be complete without you tiao, don’t you agree? :)

IMG_2835

You Tiao / Chinese crullers

For our second set, we opted to order the Fried Soy Sauce Noodles. These looked exactly like the noodles we used to have in Hong Kong. In fact, this complete meal really reminded me of our breakfast at Hong Kong, where noodles and congee always went together. Ah, memories! The noodles were plain and simple but that’s how they’re supposed to be – nothing fancy and nothing special. But that’s how I like them to be!

IMG_2838

Fried Soy Sauce noodles

IMG_2839

Set 1 – Congee + noodles + drink (AUD$6.50)

IMG_2840

Set 2: Congee + you tiao + drink (AUD$6.50)

Finally for drinks, Saucer had the hot Milk Tea, which turned out to be quite strong and fragrant, while I had the Soya Bean, which was not too bad. In fact, we initially thought we would be charged extra for drinks since these were listed as Chinese characters in the menu (which we couldn’t read) next to a $1 sign, but apparently they’re part of the set. There’s a only a surcharge of $1 if we had opted for cold drinks.

IMG_2843

Milk tea

IMG_2845

Soya bean

Overall, we thought the breakfast sets here were definitely good value for money, all things considered. The environment was not overly crowded that you would feel rushed to finish your meal, which was perfect for a relaxing family outing during the weekends. Needless to say, we’d definitely be back whenever we’re craving for something hot and comfy in the morning, or whenever we felt like eating congee!

IMG_2847

Dining environment

IMG_2850

North & South Gourmet at Carlingford Village

North and South Gourmet Carlingford Village
Shop G2, 372 Pennant Hills Rd
Carlingford, NSW 2118
Australia
Contact No.: +612 9871 2819

• 03.22.13

• March 22nd, 2013 1:48 PM

indeed very expensive dining in Sydney especially for us earning RM here, haha!! hmmm, your ideal breakfast is so oriental, surprising enough.. i would like to have full set of continental breakfast, that’s why somebody said i am an ang-moh wannabe.. hahaha!!

Haha I guess when continental breakfast is so readily available here, I crave for something else! :P

• March 22nd, 2013 2:47 PM
    sycookies

Not bad pricing indeed. And this is one of the kind of typical chinese breakfast menu that is pretty rare anywhere else in Australia. At least not that I have seen any. Nice~ =)

That’s right, it’s one out of the handful of places that I saw selling porridge and crullers and definitely the cheapest so far! :)

• March 22nd, 2013 2:53 PM
    small Kucing

Quite pricey by Msia standard but over there it’s like something exotic .

You can cook it better right :)

I can cook porridge but I can’t make those you tiao, unfortunately.. and they’re very important for porridge! :P

• March 22nd, 2013 4:59 PM
    lotsofcravings

6.50 a steal! cafe breakfast meals are about 20 and whenever i find a cheaper place (like a taiwanese one i found recently), i over order and end up spending 10-15.

surely though since u r earning AUD, dining out is not that bad rite?

I guess I’m slowly coming out from the conversion mode so it is more bearable to eat out! Haha but it’s still not as affordable/accessible as in KL, no doubt about that! :)

• March 22nd, 2013 5:32 PM

SWo cheap…but don;t look very appetising! I think it would be cheaper to cook your own…and definitely a whole lot nicer too.

LOL! Thanks for the nice compliment but unfortunately I don’t know how to make chinese crullers, and that’s one of the most important element in a meal of porridge! :P

• March 22nd, 2013 6:50 PM

All is fine if you work there and spend the money there… but not fine if I go as a tourist .. lol.. I think I will end up taking bread instead of taking porridge for 6.50aud.. I am very kiamsiap.. :)

Haha I understand, and I do agree with you too. I think my mom would think the same :P

• March 22nd, 2013 6:54 PM
    Sean Eat Drink KL

a porridge of pork and century egg with crullers is my ideal brekkie too, as far as chinese food is concerned! great way to start the day :D

I’d go for porridge and crullers than the usual bacon and eggs anytime! ;)

• March 23rd, 2013 8:20 PM

Now that you’re earning AUD, shouldn’t convert anymore. Then you will feel that the prices are reasonable hehe!

That’s true.. Can’t really convert otherwise everything becomes way too expensive!

• March 24th, 2013 12:02 AM
    Kelly

Definitely good value for money!

I agree too!

• March 25th, 2013 4:27 AM

Yummy! Even though I am not a big fan of congee but yours look yummy! And it’s good you found a reasonably priced one. Oh, yes, this also reminds me of Hong Kong haha!

I need to continue finding more places like this so that I can have more choices! But the good thing is this place also serves lunch and dinner so perhaps I can try those when I next visit :)

• March 25th, 2013 4:35 AM
    tekkaus

So…it is time for you and your husband to return to Malaysia. LOL

Haha we will definitely go back perhaps during holidays! ;)

• March 25th, 2013 11:44 AM

i agree Sydney is not cheap but at least you are earning there! :D

Don’t think I can survive here without a job! ;)

• March 25th, 2013 4:54 PM
    Drops of Contentment

Haha I remember when I was studying in Melbourne.. I used to be so excited finding little affordable places like these. Glad you found a good one! The you tiao being included in the set is indeed a big, big plus!

Thanks! I am glad I found one too.. I’m thinking of visiting it again this weekend! Yum!