Overwhelmed with Meat at Suki-ya

Having been to Bangkok, I was familiar with the concept of Shabu-Shabu and Sushi or Shabu-Shabu and Sukiyaki. Hence, I was quite excited to try out Suki-ya when it started in Pavilion some time ago. As luck would have it, I didn’t have the chance to visit before I made my big move to Australia, but I made it up by visiting it during my 2-week back to Malaysia trip. We tried to make a reservation but were told that it was fully booked, so we could only try out luck by going there early and queue up for a place. We ended up getting a table easily when we reached slightly after 11am for lunch.

Lamb slices

Beef slices

The first thing we were asked was the choice of soup we wanted. There were 5 of us and we were seated on a table with 2 pots with 2 choices each, so we could choose up to 4 types of soup. I think that’s quite fortunate because there were some tables with just 1 pot that could seat the same amount of people but they could only choose 2 types of soup. Since it was the first visit for most of us, we opted for several choices namely the Sukiyaki, Miso soup and Kimuchi soup.

Sukiya menu

Types of soup – Shabu-shabu, Sukiyaki, Miso Soup and Kimuchi

How to eat sukiyaki

How to eat Sukiyaki

According to the menu, there were also some a la carte items that one could order to complement the shabu-shabu/sukiyaki meal if desired. We didn’t have any of those since we were really there for the hot pot experience. Once we placed our orders for soup, we proceeded to the vegetables bar to pick out our favourite vegetables, mushrooms, fish balls, noodles and a selected variety of seafood.

Sukiya vegetables

Selection of vegetables at the Vegetables Bar

Sukiya vegetables

More hot pot items

Sukiya

Our first plate

Sukiya frozen balls

Various balls and tofu

I’m glad to say that the vegetables were fresh and crisp, and were constantly refilled so we were not faced with shortage. The highlight of the meal though, was the sliced meat. Sliced meat was served upon order so one could be assured of its freshness. Raw meat left too long under room temperature is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria, so it should always be cooked and eaten once served. There were 3 choices of meat available – chicken, beef and lamb. The waitress asked us which type of meat we wanted and we said all 3. To our surprise, she then served us 5 servings of each meat (since there were 5 of us), resulting in a whopping total of 15 plates at one go! It was certainly overwhelming for us to see so much meat at one go. We decided to return some of them since we knew we couldn’t finish all of them, plus we could always order again if we wanted to.

Sukiya meat slices

Various meat slices – 15 plates!

Beef slices

Lamb

Chicken slices

Chicken

The meat slices were paper thin and fresh, which was perfect for sukiyaki. According to the instructions, the right way to eat sukiyaki would be to cook the meat in the hot soup and then dip it into raw egg for the best flavour. Saucer did exactly that and was happy with the result. I, on the other hand, stuck to the good old sauces, which I’d wished had more variety than just the 3. I also thought the Kimuchi soup lacked of a certain kick that day, or it could have been due to my flu. I guess I’ll never know.

Sukiya sauces

Types of sauces

Sukiya

Second plate

Sukiya

Kimuchi and sukiyaki soup

Sukiya hot pot

Sukiyaki and miso soup

Overall, we had quite an enjoyable experience dining at Suki-ya, partly because of the great company and partly due to the fact that we could always get as much food as we wanted throughout the session. Needless to say, we stuffed ourselves to the brim. We even left before our 2-hour period was due simply because we couldn’t eat anymore.

Sukiya

Suki-ya at Paradigm Mall

Adult: RM29.80++ (lunch) and RM39.80++(dinner)
Children below 12: 50% off

Suki-Ya
UG-13 (in front of Tong Pak Fu) Paradigm Mall,
No.1 Jalan SS7/26/A,
Kelana Jaya,
47301 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor, Malaysia.
Tel No.: +603-7887 3042
Opening Hours: Mon – Sun (11:00 am – 10:00 pm)
Website: www.suki-ya.com

• 01.29.13

• January 29th, 2013 2:10 PM
    Caroline Ng May Ling

Aiyo!! We ended up didnt finish up the foods! The meat really a lot and love the ice creaaaaammmms! >.<

Yes! I saw you having multiple helpings of ice-creams :P Too bad I couldn’t eat those since I was coughing away :(

• January 29th, 2013 2:57 PM

I love steamboat but never with these soups. Would love to try…but is kimuchi the same as the Korean kimchi? If it is, no, thank you very much. LOL!!!

Yes, kimchi and kimuchi are the same, I think. I love any soup as long as it’s spicy! Tom yum, kim chi or ma la, you name it! :)

• January 29th, 2013 4:14 PM
    [SK/0617]

love those meat slice and fresh mushrooms, and also the yam and sausages!! i guess those would be good for me and i won’t probably take the other varieties~~ :p

Ohh you love yam eh? Saucer likes them in steamboat too, although I could never understand why. :P hehe

• January 29th, 2013 4:39 PM
    MrLonely

sigh.. cannot eat beef

Oh you can always eat the lamb and chicken slices! Plenty to keep you occupied ;)

• January 29th, 2013 6:02 PM

suki-ya has become quite a trusted and reputable name for buffet-lovers in kl in less than two years. and ya, i think two hours is quite enough to fill our stomachs, though sometimes maybe we’d just want an extra hour to sit, rest and chat, heheh :D

Yes it’s surprising how fast we get full after eating non-stop! Hehe.. for me, 2 hours is just right! We went to Starbucks to sit, rest and chat afterwards. hehe

• January 29th, 2013 7:44 PM
    ulric

My fav place for Jap shabu-shabu fix…visited them 10+ times aredi…hehe :D

Btw…did ya try their nutty upon-request Gomatare sauce with d meats? =)

Wow! Such a loyal customer! They should have a loyalty discount card for you :) Ahh I didn’t know there’s a special on-request sauce! :(

• January 29th, 2013 8:41 PM

Haha! I love having shabu shabu here…. can eat ALOT!

Especially during cold and rainy weather! :)

• January 29th, 2013 8:54 PM

I was quite surprised we could not finish all the meat! Normally we were quite big eaters right? : D

Me too! I think it’s my flu that day.. :P

• January 30th, 2013 12:09 AM

hey, the price is very reasonable..not expensive at all.. and so many choices too!

Yes I think so too! For all-you-can-eat meals, it’s pretty decent!

• February 1st, 2013 12:14 AM
    Mokky Mok

Were there any cheeseballs at the vegetable bar? Most of the people who tried that gave good comments, which is another attraction for me to visit Sukiya besides from the fresh sliced meat :D

Oohh cheeseballs? I must have missed them, because I was focusing on the sliced meat rather than the vegetable bar! But thanks for reminding me.. :)

• February 1st, 2013 7:09 AM
    denise

Pretty interesting, is there any fresh seafood served?

There were some selection of seafood like clams and crabs, but not much. I think the focus was on sliced meat.

• February 2nd, 2013 4:37 PM
    Kelly

There’s one suki ya in Mont Kiara and we’ve been there a couple of times. Love the selection of veges, and my favourite sauce is the spicy misotare!

OOhh I love anything spicy, so I’m guessing I must have enjoyed that misotare sauce as well! hehe

• February 2nd, 2013 7:24 PM

wagyu sukiyaki is the best!!

Yumm melt-in-your-mouth!

• April 13th, 2013 12:07 PM
    Rich Doctor

Please eat more and more so you can be my patient in 5 years. Last decade it was 20 years to fall sick. Nowadays sicko come in 5 years after getting their first paychecks. Future sickos, I love my job please DO NOT care what you eat, I am here to help. ahahahahaha

• September 15th, 2013 1:21 PM
    Aki

Food was good but the only dessert they served was ice-cream which totally tasteless & watery ! Ya watery ! Hopefully Suki-ya will do better in serving a better quality dessert as I definitely would like to patronize this shop again.

I agree with you, they should do something with their dessert! :P