Christmas is just around the corner, which means it’s perfect timing to get started on some tummy-warming, lip-smacking fall dishes. I don’t know about you, but when I think of fall, I always associate it with thick stews, hot gravy, roasts and piping hot pies. One fruit that is abundant during the pre-Christmas season is none other than butternut squash or pumpkin as we know it. The bright orange hues plus the sweet and rich flavours make it ever so versatile. Just the other day, I came across this fall recipe from Kopiaste, the Savoury Corn Crumble with Butternut Squash, Spinach and Feta, and I thought, what a creative and easy recipe for Christmas!
Savoury Corn Crumble with Butternut Squash
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour
Serves: 1 baking dish (about 12 pieces)
- 2 lbs butternut Squash, grated
- 1 lbs spinach, squeezed
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 lbs feta, crumbled
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup fennel fronds, finely chopped
- Salt (with caution) and freshly grated black pepper
- A pinch of cumin
- 1.5 lbs corn meal
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 200 ml Greek yogurt 2%
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp margarine divided (to grease the baking tin and to add on top)
- Grate the pumpkin and mix all the filling ingredients.
- In a large bowl add the crumble ingredients and mix using your hand until the ingredients are well blended to form the crumble. If you still see corn meal, add more olive oil, if necessary.
- Grease a 35 x 25 cm baking tin with 2 tbsp margarine. Add half of the crumble on the baking tin.
- Add the filling on top and sprinkle the remaining crumble on top of the filling.
- Add the remaining margarine in small pieces scattered all over the baking tin.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 350 F and bake for about 1 hour or until the crumble is golden on top.
Serve as a main dish, a side dish or a snack.
I find the recipe really easy to follow, I mean it’s just 6 steps! I’ll definitely go hunt for pumpkin this weekend and give this a go.
What is your favourite fall recipe?
Note: This sponsorship is brought to you by GLAM Media who we have partnered with for this promotion.