Bangers and Mash

After visiting a couple of wineries at Pepper Tree Wines and Tower Estate, our stomachs were crying out for food. And the timing was perfect because it was exactly lunch time too. We did a quick search with the map from our hotel and saw that Harrigan’s Irish Pub was nearby, so we decided to give it a go. The place was pretty crowded with customers dining alfresco and a band playing as well, but we managed to get a table indoors pretty quick. Orders were placed and paid for at the cashier, so don’t expect anyone to come and take your orders.

Harrigans

Menu

Harrigans

Inside Harrigan’s Irish Pub

Saucer ordered the Gourmet Steak Sandwich that was a 150gram scotch fillet char grilled served on thick cut bread with mesculin lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cheddar cheese, beetroot chutney and served with diamond cut chips. Saucer said he was not asked to choose the doneness of the steak during order and was slightly disappointed that it came out to be a tad well-done. Thankfully the beetroot chutney was quite tasty and helped to alleviate the fact that the steak was a little dry. For me, I thought the ace was the chips! It could be the way they cut or fried them, but I found them to be darn addictive! They remained crispy the whole time we had lunch, and were cut with just the right thickness. I seldom finish up chips when dining out, but I polished them off that day.

At Harrigans

Saucer and his lunch

Steak burger

Gourmet Steak Sandwich (AUD21.90)

As for me, I went Irish and ordered one of their national food – Pork Bangers and Mash. This was a dish of traditional Irish pork sausages served on a bed of creamy
mash potato topped with Kilkenny caramelized onions and rich brown gravy. I always thought that having just sausages for a meal wouldn’t be filling enough, but I was wrong. These bangers were compact and flavourful, and I had a hard time even finishing it after my second sausage! That was not a complaint, by the way, because the bangers were really bouncy and juicy. Not forgetting its loyal companion, the mash was smooth and creamy, perfect with the brown gravy. I really enjoyed my lunch that day.

Irish bangers

Pork bangers and mash (AUD19.90)

Irish bangers

Bouncy and juicy sausage

At Harrigans

Lunch at Harrigan’s

After lunch, we took a walk outside the pub there there was a band playing contemporary songs. The atmosphere was quite festive, with patrons cheering and clapping at the end of each performance. There was also a liquor shop next to the pub, selling what appeared to be cartons and cartons of beer.

Band

Band playing outside Harrigan’s Irish Pub

So if you’re ever tired of wines (I don’t know why that might be), do drop by Harrigan’s for a dose of Irish beer and yummy pub grub. I found that they lined our stomachs pretty well for our next rounds of wine-tasting in Hunter Valley!

Harrigans

Beer shop

Harrigans Irish Pub at Hunter Valley

Harrigan’s Irish Pub at Hunter Valley

Harrigan’s Irish Pub
Hunter Valley Gardens
Broke Road
Pokolbin NSW 2320
Australia.
Tel No:+61(2) 4998 4300
Fax No: +61(2) 4998 7854
Opening Hours: Breakfast (7.00am-10.30am) Lunch (12pm-3pm) Dinner (6pm-9pm)
Email: harrigans@hvg.com.au
Website: www.harrigans.com.au

Harrigan's Irish Pub on Urbanspoon

• 11.02.12

• November 2nd, 2012 1:36 PM

now THAT’s a plate of bangers and mash! epic proportions.. and Lionel’s sanwic is huge too.. how do u eat that much! :D

I don’t know how I eat that much too! It’s scaring me! LOL!

• November 2nd, 2012 2:04 PM

those are really HUGE portion, and for lunch?? hope you didn’t doze off after that, hahaha!! love the steak as well as the bangers too.. no wonder you can wipe them out~~ :D

Yes it’s a huge portion for lunch! No we didn’t doze off, but continued searching for wines! LOL!

• November 2nd, 2012 4:24 PM

very hearty lunch! definitely getting your carbohydrate and protein requirements from this meal. and your description of the fries make me want to pop one into my mouth right now! :D

Yes the fries were the best! I can still remember the crunchiness of it. LOL

• November 2nd, 2012 7:20 PM

That is lunch!!!!???? For one!!!??? Gosh! Saucer’s ahving a real feast, I see. I think I prefer yours…love bangers and love mash…but prices almost the same and yours look kinda little.

Oooo…live music! I like!

You’re right, Saucer’s portion seemed bigger indeed, for around the same price. I guess it comes down to personal preference.. I also love the bangers and mash more! :)

• November 3rd, 2012 2:55 AM

wow! what a BIG portion.. I don’t think I can finish that! And you still look as slim as ever… that is a wonder!

It’s hard to stay slim here with such big portions of food indeed!!

• November 4th, 2012 7:52 PM
    Kash

Bangers and mash are the Irish national food?…lol, that’s an eye opener to me, since I’m living in Ireland,lol. Actually to be honest, there is no national dish here, the closest I can think of is Irish stew, but not all Irish like it, not like ours the satay or nasi lemak, where everyone likes it! It’s more too steak or roast beef, the Irish national dish,lol.
    As for the chips, I think it’s double fried, that’s why it is crispy and it’s tasty because of the type of potatoe used.. You can make it yourself too, try searching for Heston Bloomingthal’s perfect chips recipe, you won’t be dissapointed.

Haha well blame it on Wikipedia! Coz that’s what it says, that it is a national food in Ireland :P And thanks for the tip on chips! I guess it’s unlikely that I will try frying them because I really hate smoky and oily kitchen! :P

• November 6th, 2012 5:26 PM

Yummy sausages!! And the gourmet steak sandwich looks delicious too! : )

Yes, really authentic pub food! :)

• November 8th, 2012 3:15 PM
    CWWong

Saucer’s lunch is definitely yummy looking !

I think so too! :)