Malaysian Food in Sydney

Some updates about life in Sydney! Yes I have started working for close to 2 weeks now, and recently found a place of my own to stay! Believe me when I say that the rental market here is extremely competitive! I had gone through at least 5 rejections before finally landing this apartment but I have no complaints. This place is close to work, clean and is not too expensive. Perfect! Now after being here for more than 6 weeks, I do have cravings for Malaysian food. Thankfully, there’s Sambal to the rescue. The restaurant that boasts of Singaporean and Malaysian cuisine is my favorite joint to cure my char kuey teow fix.

Sambal

Penang Char Kuey Teow

Located along Lane Cove road just minutes of walk from the Macquarie Park train station, Sambal is always packed especially during the weekends. They have weekend specials during lunch, with different dishes offered every week on the month. KL Hokkien Mee is one of the dishes that is only offered during the weekends, so we gave that a try. Fried to a silky black finish, I found the noodles to be a tad too sweet. The noodles were chewy and nice, although slightly different from the ‘dai lok min’ we usually have. I think it would have been much nicer with some pork lard? But I realize that in Australia, generally people are more health-conscious and food tend to be less oily.

Sambal

KL Hokkien Mee (AUD$14.80)

The Mee Rebus was commendable, with actual egg noodles being used and all the usual deep fried suspects present. The only thing I found amusing was that they used lemon instead of lime for the dash of sour. I thought the combination was slightly weird at first, but grew to accept it. Apparently it’s quite hard to find lime here, hence the replacement by lemon.

Sambal

Mee Rebus (AUD$13.80)

My favorite dish of all has to be the Penang Char Kuey Teow. There was a choice of either mild, medium or hot that one could choose from, and being me, of course I went for the hot option. I didn’t regret it. I have always liked my char kuey teow to be spicy and hot! The version at Sambal was spicy enough and had a nice aroma. I thought it was done pretty good considering I did not find any pork lard used. The only difference was the flat noodles ‘hor fun’ used here was thicker than the ones found in Penang. That perhaps affected the flavor and texture a little, but it’s quite close to the real thing. I was definitely satisfied.

Sambal

Penang Char Kuey Teow (AUD$12.30)

Teh Tarik is another of Malaysia’s specialty, so it was also offered here. This was a little lacking in terms of the flavor from the tea, for I only tasted the milk instead. I found that the tea from another Malaysian restaurant called Mamak, was much better and thicker too.

Sambal

The Tarik (AUD$4)

Last but not least, we shared a bowl of Cendol for dessert. When the bowl was served, I didn’t expect much but it turned out to be pretty good. The cendol pieces were fat and chewy, not starchy like how some would be. Most importantly, the gula Melaka or palm sugar used was fabulous. It was very aromatic and went extremely well with the santan. They were definitely not stingy with quality ingredients.

Sambal

Cendol (AUD$6.50)

Overall, I’d say that the Malaysian food here is surely above average and Sambal deserves a pat on its back for doing such a good job. The dining environment is fairly spacious and comfortable, service is prompt and food is genuinely Malaysian. I’ll be back to try out their roti and nasi lemak, when the craving comes. :)

Sambal

Opening Hours

Sambal

Sambal along Lane Cove Road

Sambal
285-297, Lane Cove Road,
North Ryde 2113,
New South Wales, Australia
Tel No.: (+612) 9889 7977
Website: www.sambal.com.au

Sambal on Urbanspoon

• May 17th, 2012 11:37 AM
    Choi Yen

Definitely not cheap, butwhen the craving attack, have to pay that $ lor…. >.<

• May 17th, 2012 12:09 PM
    Simple Person

certainly the price can’t be compare to the price in Malaysia..
    It looks nice and delicious though…

• May 17th, 2012 12:10 PM
    Ken Wooi

Even though I’m in Malaysia, after readings this – I feel like having them already! :D

• May 17th, 2012 12:20 PM

auww! luckily there are Malaysian food ti fix your cravings darling! <3 but ohno! so pricey!

• May 17th, 2012 3:56 PM

Omigawd!!! Those prices!!! Hmmmm….I should have gone over and open a restaurant there. I would be a billionaire today, I’m sure. Hehehehehehe!!!! What are you doing there? Sell chicken rice or bak kut teh!!! Sure cepat kaya one like that! ;)

Haha you should open a restaurant indeed! I will be your loyal customer! :D

• May 17th, 2012 3:57 PM
    lotsofcravings

good to know you have found a place to stay and a job too!

i heard bad stories about the rental market in sydney, thankfully its much easier in melbourne, although the agent did drum the story like it was so hard to get a good place.

Well you heard it first hand that it’s really hard to rent here! Especially with no rental history. :(

• May 17th, 2012 5:35 PM

the char kuey teow looks nice! though i would wish for some cockles in it. but ya, it’s good that there’s at least a decent CKT there that you can still indulge in! :D

Ahh cockles! Haha well thankfully I don’t like cockles so I didn’t miss them until you mentioned!:D

• May 18th, 2012 12:45 AM

Wah! People in Australia are more health-conscious? Food less oily? I like!! Oh good for Saucer too! : )

• May 18th, 2012 12:46 AM

But the food so expensive leh

Well better than none available right? I don’t eat out very often anyway :)

• May 19th, 2012 3:21 AM
    bluedreamer

wow the sauces were overflowing… that makes me drool haha
    Cendol is pretty much like our Halo Halo…
    thanks for sharing witch
    It’s nice to be back here
    happy blogging

Thanks for dropping by bluedreamer! Yes I think the cendol is quite similar to your halo halo! :)

• May 19th, 2012 1:14 PM

excellent and congrats on your new place and job! Did you buy the place – can’t imagine it being cheap :) Can’t wait to visit!

Thanks babe! Yes you should come and visit! Q3 (Spring) should be a good time, I heard :)

• June 11th, 2012 8:51 PM
    Rob @ Migration Angels Australia

Wow the Penang Char Kuey Teow looks tasty. I’m not sure what’s up with the shortage of Limes in Australia. I do recall never being able to find them, and when you do they’re ridiculously expensive.

Rob @ Migration Angels Australia Reply:

And here’s the answer: Lime shortage squeezes prices up

Oh well, I suppose lemon does the trick somehow.. Lime is really cheap in Malaysia! The main star is still the superb char kuey teow! :)