Ben’s

I have always wanted to dine at any one of the BIG’s group establishments, especially after reading so much about them. Opportunity presented itself when a good friend Brian came to visit all the way from the US. Since he specifically requested for something Western, I immediately thought of Ben’s in Pavilion. We went on a weeknight, so we managed to get a table easily even without reservation.

Crispy breaded fish fillet

While waiting, Saucer and I ordered our drinks. If you have been reading my blog posts, you would notice that I seldom write about beverages unless they’re very memorable, so I simply must rave about the Oreo Smoothie that I had at Ben’s. It was very thick, smooth, creamy and chunky with Oreo bits. Just imagine melted vanilla ice-cream mixed with a generous amount of Oreo cookies – it was pure goodness with no sign of diluteness.

Bens

Guinness Draught Pint (RM18)

Oreo Smoothie (RM11.90)

Brian ordered the Chunky Mushroom Soup that came in a sizable portion which he couldn’t finish it himself. The texture was thick and chunky and most importantly, very aromatic from the addition of truffle oil on top. I would definitely order this for myself the next time I visit Ben’s.

Bens

Chunky Mushroom Soup (RM11.90)

Saucer had the Roasted Tomato Soup which was equally thick and creamy, with an extra kick from the tangy tomato flavor. However, he did mention that the cheesy garlic toast was a little too dry and tough to chew on.

Bens

Roasted Tomato Soup (RM11.90)

In the midst of us ordering, we saw a dish of salad with what seemed like a mountain of mushrooms being served to a table next to us. After glancing through the menu, we thought it was the Burnt Butter Wild Mushroom Salad. Unfortunately, it did not look anything like the one we saw earlier when our dish was served. Needless to say, we were somewhat disappointed with this salad which had quite a small portion and a rather boring presentation. The amount of wild mushrooms, although tasty, was quite measly too. Saucer, who initially thought that he would be filled with a soup and a salad, decided to order something else to fill up his tummy.

Bens

Burnt Butter Wild Mushroom Salad (RM21.90)

The Spicy Buffalo Wings came as a good saviour after the salad. This was nicely marinated with a spicy kick to it although I’d prefer the wings to be less wet.

Bens

Spicy Buffalo Wings (RM13.90)

The star of the night, without a doubt, was the Crispy Duck Confit Spaghettini, which I had for my mains. It was exceptionally aromatic when it was served, and fabulously delicious upon the first bite. Each strand was nicely coated with duck fat and emitted an irresistible aroma that had us salivating with every bite. The whole combination of crispy savory duck with the sweet dried tomatoes worked wonders. It was one of the most memorable spaghetti dishes that I’ve had in a while.

Bens

Crispy Duck Confit Spaghettini (RM22.90)

Saucer had the Fisherman’s Catch to make up for his disappointment in the earlier salad. Thankfully, the crispy breaded fish fillet was generously portioned and didn’t disappoint. Served with a wedge of lemon on sesame buns and a side of fries, this proved to be quite a substantial meal on its own. I liked that the fish fillet was not thickly breaded with a thin layer of flesh like how some establishments do it, this was only thinly breaded with a reasonable portion of fish within.

Fisherman’s Catch (RM21.90)

Last but not least, we shared 2 different cakes for desserts. The Red Velvet was soft and fluffy but was made outstandingly so due to the cream cheese frosting on top.

Bens

Red Velvet Cake (RM10.90)

But our favorite had to go to Ben’s Chocolate Cake which was served with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. The chocolate cake was extremely moist and soft, with a rich chocolate flavor that was not overly sweet. I loved the layers of chocolate syrup that was generously drizzled in between the layers of the cake, as well as surrounding it. Eat it with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and be speechless at least for that few seconds. :)

Bens

Ben’s Chocolate Cake (RM10.90)

Perfect with ice-cream

At the end of the meal, I must say that I was pretty pleased with my first dining experience at Ben’s. I now understand why the BIG group is growing bigger and better, thanks to their good quality food and comfortable dining ambience. I’ll definitely be returning for more dosage of the duck confit spaghettini in the future!

Ben’s dining environment

Ben’s at Pavilion KL

Ben’s
Lot 6.11, Level 6, Pavilion Kuala Lumpur
168 Jalan Bukit Bintang,
55100 Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia.
Tel No.: +603-2141 5290
Opening Hours: Sun – Thur (11am  - 10pm), Fri, Sat & Eve of Public Holidays (11am – 12 midnight)
Website: www.thebiggroup.co/bens

• 03.26.12

• March 26th, 2012 10:26 AM
    smallkucing

heard so much about this place. One of these days must certainly go and try

• March 26th, 2012 11:14 AM
    ulric

Love tat Fisherman’s Catch…their Cheeseburger and Soft-Shell Crab Tortilla Roll are also good :D

• March 26th, 2012 11:21 AM
    taufulou

ohhh..pavi got ben’s liau..they like suddenly open in so many places..geng

• March 26th, 2012 11:29 AM
    JunFook

Is Red velvet cake really nice? Cos I have been hearing people talking about it.

• March 26th, 2012 11:49 AM
    Nikel

So nice!

• March 26th, 2012 12:03 PM
    Euncie

the red velvet cake looks so tempting! ^^

• March 26th, 2012 1:30 PM

I’m also a bit fan of the The Big Group’s restaurant, if you still have time, go try the pizzas at Ben’s General Food Store.

Yea I heard about their fungi pizza :)

• March 26th, 2012 2:11 PM
    Ken Wooi

quite similar to Plan B :)

Yup same group :)

• March 26th, 2012 2:20 PM
    Chuen

Haven’t been to Ben’s for a while cause it’s always packed. I love their red velvet! Shall try the Oreo smoothie next time :D

Red velvet and Oreo smoothie – a sinful but pleasurable combination! :D

• March 26th, 2012 2:53 PM
    Choi Yen

Restaurant under BIG is everywhere, can’t escape :P

Haha yea growing bigger and BIGger :)

• March 26th, 2012 3:28 PM
    KY

i love Ben’s, their service is pretty good too, a change from the norm. :D

Yes very good service even on a busy night :)

• March 26th, 2012 6:47 PM
    Cindy

Cakes looks the best – glorious i must say! The other stuff…mm.. it looks ok.

LOL! The duck confit spaghetti is not that bad :)

• March 26th, 2012 9:32 PM
    Gratitude

Such a coincidence, I was just enquiring from my friend about this place since we were at Pav yesterday and that I’ve heard of so many people frequenting this eatery. What he told me kinda shocked me coz he ordered the salad with poached egg, and boiled egg was served. There was a change of dish for 3 times and boiled egg was still served. Finally he summoned the manager who did not even know what poached meant. Btw , it was in the menu due to the previous cook. Another friend complained to me that when Ben’s first opened, she went and ordered an ice lemon tea. The waiter brought a pot of tea, ice and a glass of lemon juice! Wakakakakakakaka

These 2 reviews made me shudder!
    +Ant+

Oh dear, I guess it was a new chef transition period that caused the little misses. Well I haven’t tried their poached egg before but I certainly enjoyed the duck confit spaghetti :)

• March 26th, 2012 10:16 PM
    tekkaus

Wow…crispy breaded fish does look crispy…but a bit oily as well. :D

• March 26th, 2012 10:17 PM
    tekkaus

*gasped* The red velvet cake looked so red that I mistaken it as…raw meat…flesh oozing with blood…

Haha I never thought of it as red meat.. but now thanks to you… hmmm :P

• March 27th, 2012 1:09 AM

mmmm, i’m guessing that brian was glad to have eaten here with you guys! :D

I certainly hope so! :)

• March 28th, 2012 10:33 AM
    FiSh

can see that the oreo cookies smoothie is really good and enough to make me feel full

Latest: Authentic Thai Food outside Thailand!

Oh yes it was certainly very thick and filling :D

• April 1st, 2012 10:34 AM

Yummmm!!! I love breaded fish fillet – dun like the egg batter ones like at many fish & chips places.