Birthday Celebration in Mezze

Today marks the beginning of December, a date which is all the more special for two of my dear friends Foong and Caroline, because it’s their birthday. To celebrate their special day in advance, we had painstakingly planned a ‘surprise’ birthday dinner for them at Mezze. If planning a surprise for one person is hard enough, try planning for two! Both Eric (Caroline’s other half) and I had to come up with different stories to get them out for dinner on the same day, while making sure both of them never got to talk about it. It was quite nerve-wrecking. And finally, the day came…

Pictures on Mezze

It was our maiden visit to Mezze and once we entered, our first impression was that the restaurant reeked of smoke, probably coming from the cigarettes and cigars at the bar area which was just next to the dining area. We asked for a table upstairs instead but were informed that the section upstairs was closed on that night (or perhaps there is no dining area upstairs? Can anyone confirm?). We had no choice but to switch to a table further in, in the hopes of alleviating the smokey smell.

Carbonara (RM26)

I have heard from a few friends that we had to try the Spaghetti Carbonara if we ever dined in Mezze. What makes it different was the raw egg yolk that it was served with, in a shell. The presentation itself scored some points, even before we started eating. We mixed the whole egg yolk onto the pasta before digging in. Perhaps we shouldn’t have put in the whole yolk because some of us found the pasta to be overly creamy afterwards, almost soggy. I didn’t mind that it was creamy but thought that it lacked flavour. Still I can’t be a good judge of this because I seldom order carbonara pasta. I’m more of a marinara or aglio olio type of person.

Mezze

Add in the raw egg yolk for a creamier texture

Foong chose the Olio Bacon pasta, which I thought fared better than the Carbonara. The texture of the spaghetti here was firmer and more al dente, while the generous amount of bacon gave it a nice savoury flavour. This was actually pretty aromatic!

Olio Bacon (RM29)

My choice was the Funghi au Truffle pizza, topped with sauteed mushroom, tomato, mozzarella, oregano, rocket and a drizzle of truffle oil. From the looks of it, I’m guessing they have a wood-fired oven, which gave the pizza the occasional charred edges and crispy crust that I love. The crust was sufficiently thin and light, and had the right amount of cheese on top. The addition of mushrooms and a light drizzle of truffle oil gave a subtle earthy taste. I actually enjoyed this pizza and would have had more if we were not sharing. :P

Funghi au Truffle (RM28)

Majority of our dining group preferred the Salmon Pizza though, which looked quite similar except that it’s topped with slices of smoked salmon. Again, I loved their thin, light and crispy crust layered with cheese. I also thought the addition of rocket leaves not only made the pizza appear more attractive, it balanced out the savoury and cheesy flavour perfectly.

Salmon Pizza (RM31)

The best dish that we had that night had to go to the Chargrilled Spatchcock Chicken or spring chicken. Our first impression was that the chicken was small – but it was so good! It was skilfully marinated and meticulously grilled to a shiny golden finish that was bursting with flavour in every bite. The skin was crispy and thin with no apparent layer of fats, while the meat remained juicy and tenderly delicious. My only gripe was the small size of it so we only had a couple of bites each. :P

Mezze

Chargrilled Spatchcock Chicken (RM34)

Last but not least, a birthday cake for both the birthday boy and girl. Since the success of the Durian Cheesecake that we bought from Caffe Cino last time, we decided to try the Cherry Cheesecake this round from the same bakery. Unfortunately, I thought that the cherry cheesecake came short of the Durian cheesecake. Somehow the flavour of the cheese was neither here nor there – I couldn’t decide whether it had more flavour of the cheese or the cherry. Anyway, that’s not important because this was not a cake review session. :P

Cherry Cheesecake

Here they are, the birthday boy and girl! A very Happy Birthday to both of them. Many happy returns and may all your wishes come true! I have said it before and I’ll say it again, that I’m truly thankful that our paths crossed. :) Here’s to more birthday celebrations and many more food outings!

Mezze

The birthday boy and girl

Caroline & Eric

Saucer & witch

Although the food at Mezze was rather good, we were pretty turned off at the end of the dinner when the smoky environment became almost unbearable. There was no proper separation between the bar and bistro area, and since the whole place was enclosed and air-conditioned, it meant that the smoke was circulated internally. At one point, a few of us even had watery eyes such that we decided to leave earlier than expected. I really hope something would be done to improve the air ventilation here or at least give diners the option to dine upstairs. I’m sure diners would appreciate this gesture to protect them from second hand smoke.

The company that matters

Mezze Wine Bar & Bistro
132 Jalan Kasah,
Medan Damansara,
50490 Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia.
Tel No.: +603-2095 0122
Opening Hours: 12pm – 1am daily except Sunday
Website: www.mezze.my
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/mezzebarbistro

• December 1st, 2011 9:54 AM

Thanks darling!!! <3

• December 1st, 2011 9:56 AM

haha yesh!! omg i cant believe i still can’t get the hint !! >.<

• December 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

ohyes! Happy birthday to Foong n I!! <3<3

Yay! Happy birthday!! Surprise surprise! :D

• December 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

i LOVE the Salmon Pizza lots!! :o yummy!!

• December 1st, 2011 10:07 AM
    nikel

Carbonara with a raw egg.. seldom see lor.. But I will try on it.. Haha

Quite special right, but I think we did the mistake of waiting too long before mixing in the egg. Should have poured in immediately when it’s served.

• December 1st, 2011 10:08 AM
    munkey

food looks good! never been to mezze before though… happy bday to Foong & Caroline! :D

• December 1st, 2011 11:37 AM

oh, both of them have birthday on the same day?? haha, of course i know who is older~~ nice surprise for them, and i think they would love those pasta and the cake as well.. :)

Yup same birthdays! :)

• December 1st, 2011 11:48 AM
    tekkaus

Aww….happy birthday to the both of them. :D

• December 1st, 2011 11:50 AM
    tekkaus

Aww…now I know how Foongpc looks like. :D

Isn’t he handsome? :P

• December 1st, 2011 12:20 PM

oh, there are tables for dining upstairs, though it’s more of a bar-&-lounge set-up. i think the smoking might be even more pervasive upstairs! but hopefully they’ll take your suggestions into consideration, for the comfort of non-smokers :D

Oh really? Thanks for the info! Yea hopefully something will be done in favour of non-smokers because I kinda enjoy the food there actually.

• December 1st, 2011 1:15 PM

So you eat the egg raw? The Moon River char kway teow has a raw egg too but when mixed with the kway teow hot from the wok, that may cook it a little. This one?

P.S. Why no photo of birthday kiss leh? So unromantic one… LOL!!!

Haha ya hor.. should have asked for a birthday kiss picture :P
    Yup the egg was quite raw, gives the carbonara sauce a creamy texture.. I guess it’s slightly different from the kuay teow in the sense that only egg yolk was used here instead of the whole egg…

• December 1st, 2011 1:51 PM
    Choi Yen

Food look good but I can’t stand the smoky environment too >.<

Yea perhaps this place is only for smokers or people who don’t mind the smoke :(

• December 1st, 2011 2:07 PM

Yeah I also cannot stand smoking in restaurant. UK banned smoking in restaurants few yrs ago and it was such a nice change for those dining out.

Kudos to the UK restaurants! :)

• December 1st, 2011 4:00 PM

Firstly.. wishing a Happy Birthday to Foong and Caroline..
    Secondly, great to have friends like you to give surprises and makan together on and off..
    Thirdly, the food looks great, I would opt for the chicken anytime… :)
    Fourthly, I would also leave early cos I cannot stand smoke too! :)

Hehe how about Fifthly? :P
    Anyway the chicken was surprisingly really good.. so tasty!

• December 1st, 2011 4:42 PM
    small Kucing

Happy Belated Birthday!

• December 1st, 2011 6:20 PM
    Dave from The Longest Way Home

You’re so good to plan a surprise birthday party for your friends :)

For me the Funghi au Truffle is simply yum x 10

Great to know that you love the Funghi au Truffle! I loved that too! :)

• December 1st, 2011 6:41 PM
    Wilson@PlacesAndFoods

I thought the food was horrible, but smoky condition is bad. U should complain to them.

Wilson

• December 1st, 2011 7:51 PM
    Nava Krishnan

Lovely food and its nice way of serving the spaghetti with the egg to be poured on top.

• December 1st, 2011 10:12 PM
    Alien

Happy b’day to the both of them! :) And the food looks yummy! :D

• December 1st, 2011 11:15 PM
    FiSh

hi may i know where’s the cafe you bought the cake? im interested in the cherry cheese cake :)

It’s Caffe Cino at Hilton PJ :)

• December 1st, 2011 11:22 PM
    wyyv

non smoking area is definitely important! :)

• December 2nd, 2011 12:15 AM
    Angela

That Carbonara looks…interesting, pretty different from the Italian carbonara, but interesting :P Lovely evening you must have had!

I guess that egg makes it different yes? :)

• December 2nd, 2011 1:57 AM
    Isaac Tan

happy birthday to both.. next time call me along ma.. oh wait .. “company that matters”, guess i dont :)

Don’t be silly! Will call you along next time ;)

• December 2nd, 2011 10:57 AM
    ai wei

haven’t got chance to dine in here. friend said their carbonara is a must try. as well as few other dishes too.
    ahhh

• December 4th, 2011 5:26 PM
    J2Kfm

I love it when they put rocket leaves in salads and pizzas. That distinctive taste and crunch is second to none.
    Pity about the environment, and the over-hyped carbonara. But the company matters. Sometimes.

I know what you mean with the rocket leaves! Even though they’re a little bitter, they balanced out the savoury and cheesy pizza well AND you feel healthier just because of the bit of greens on top. :)

• December 6th, 2011 2:17 AM

Thanks for this “surprise” birthday dinner! I already suspected something amiss haha! But can’t believe Carol didn’t suspect anything! LOL!

The food not bad lah, just that it’s too smokey. Definitely not a place for non smokers! : )

• February 20th, 2012 1:44 PM
    Paulette Taylor

Isn’t he handsome? Yeah I also cannot stand smoking in restaurant. Oh really?