The Majestic 3-storey Chinese Restaurant

It was just last week that we celebrated my grandmother’s birthday. As usual, every year, all of us from the family would gather and have a nice dinner while catching up with cousins, aunties and uncles. This year was no different, and the dinner was held at the grand and majestic Sin Choi Wah restaurant in Kepong. It was the first time I saw such a huge restaurant, with 3 storeys in its full glory.

P1170200

Sin Choi Wah Restaurant, Kepong

Inside was even more impressive! I counted at least 2 wedding dinners held on the ground floor itself, and of course, the crowd was just crazy. As with most Chinese restaurants, chandeliers are a must!

P1170206

Chandeliers

Our table was set within a private room, just next to a wedding dinner.

P1170219

Wedding banquet

Apart from the grandness of Sin Choy Wah, I really wanted to write about how good the food was! Surprisingly! Considering the huge amount of patrons that night, our lone table was served pretty promptly too. At least, we didn’t have to wait too long for each dish. And they’re all served piping hot and fresh.

I was most impressed with the 4-seasons platter. Each of the item was well thought of, delicious and presentable. Most noted would be the pork ribs on the top left. It was tender and well-marinated, with sweet and sour sauce that was just right.

P1170221

4 seasons platter

The shark’s fin soup was above average too, with lots of shark’s fin just floating on top of the soup. Can you notice it from the picture below?

P1170224

Shark’s fin soup

P1170229

Close up version

P1170231

Steamed fish

We also had the braised Sea Cucumber and Mushroom, and I have to say, those sea cucumber was thickly cut and well-cooked. It was so tender that I knew they had braised this for hours. I love sea cucumber because they’re so very good for your joints! Have to eat them while you’re young to prevent joint pains in the future ok? :)

P1170233

Braised Sea Cucumber and Mushroom

The customary steamed chicken was nothing to shout about.

P1170235

Steamed chicken

But my favourite that night had to be the Stir fried Long beans with Dried squid! The dried squid’s aroma was very strong and significant, but oh-so-wonderful! The golden brown pieces of dried squid were light, slightly crispy and definitely brought a whole new twist to the common long beans. Try this and you will never regret it.

P1170238

Stir fried long beans with dried squid

When the next plate was served, I thought it was Nasi Pattaya. *LOL* It turned out to be fried longevity noodles! What a way to serve it. Suspense eh? The longevity noodles (“Sau Meen”) is a common dish to be ordered during birthday celebrations, signifying long life.

resize

Fried longevity noodles

Finally, desserts! There were Black Glutinous Rice and Lotus Paste Buns.

resize2

Black glutinous rice dessert

Just now we had longevity noodles, now we had longevity buns. Long life to my grandma! :)

resize1

Longevity buns – Lotus Paste buns

A family picture to end it all. :) Happy Birthday Poh Poh!

P1170252

Birthday celebration with Granny

I have to say I’m definitely impressed with the quality of food at Sin Choy Wah. They definitely know how to handle their crowd and their dishes. No worries on going there on a crowded night, for your food would not be compromised. I would go to this restaurant again, especially during family birthdays. :)

Restoran Sin Choy Wah (opposite Tesco)
Jalan 7A/62A,
Bandar Manjalara,
Kepong,
52200 Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia.
Tel no: +603-6277 1222

• 07.09.10

• July 9th, 2010 10:28 AM

Happy belated bday to ur grandma!! =D longevity noodles n longevity buns GREAT!!

• July 9th, 2010 11:27 AM
    David Goh

Happy Belated Bday to ur grandma !!

Now I know you venture into my territory – Kepong. Happy venturing, there quite a number of nice places in Kepong too ^^

• July 9th, 2010 11:29 AM
    xin

woah i am sure this place will be a big hit for wedding dinners judging from the grand look and food quality

• July 9th, 2010 12:19 PM
    jfook

Wooww, the food looks good.

• July 9th, 2010 1:20 PM

Normally here, we’ll have the longevity noodles first – but our noodles, mee sua…not the same. And we do not eat long beans at such dinners – considered cheap veg! LOL!!! And first time I see bean curd sticks with steamed fish – here only with fish head curry. But the rest of the food looks real good.

• July 9th, 2010 1:43 PM
    mimid3vils

Witch, I think the address that u provided was wrong, that was their old shop @ Sri Damansara.

The old Choy Wah actually located at Jinjang where I grown up & have been a famous place for wedding banquet, many old folks at Jinjang/Kepong area like their dishes :)

You’re right.. Already changed the address. Thanks! :)

• July 9th, 2010 2:24 PM
    khengsiong

3-storey… Did the restaurant have elevator for your grandmother?

We were at the Ground floor. :P But yes, I saw elevators around.

• July 9th, 2010 4:45 PM
    wyyv

wow! that restaurant is so grand! even the food is as grand as the restaurant.. haha :D really gotta visit tis place someday ^^

• July 9th, 2010 5:24 PM

happy belated birthday to your grandma :)

wow, this restaurant is very grand, 3 storeys with all the lightings and glass panels.. cool man..

hehe, nice food, but i always love the 1st dish aka 4 seasons platter the most.. :p

• July 9th, 2010 5:33 PM
    Big Boys Oven

wow this is so posh! I like it!

• July 9th, 2010 9:50 PM
    kathy

the scallop looks so nice. Didnt know Kepong have such a grand restaurant. Wow…

• July 9th, 2010 10:05 PM
    foodbin

A great dinner, indeed-those are not long bean-looks more like French bean.

• July 10th, 2010 6:26 AM
    Garfield

wow, the restaurant is impressive!
    how much is the bill for this dinner?

Hmm that’s a good question :P I’m not too sure coz my uncle paid for it.

• July 10th, 2010 11:34 AM
    Shingo T

Every dish look so nice and yummy.

The Stir fried long beans with dried squid in particular, caught my eye.

• July 11th, 2010 8:24 PM
    uLi

So grand wor….

• July 12th, 2010 11:22 AM
    christine

can i have this restaurant contact number please?

christine, please see the end of the post above in Page 2. The contact numbers are there. :)

• July 29th, 2010 2:27 AM
    ericleeh

OMG….wrong time to visit your blog!!! i’m hungry already!!

happy belated birthday to your grandma..XD

• August 4th, 2010 12:08 PM
    Kpy

Hi

I try to call that restaurant but the no is not is service, any other contact no? I would like to bring my dad there to celebrae his 71 years old birthday, thank you for your help….

Sorry for the outdated info. I copied the phone number on the serviette, but it seems to be their old shop. I will try to get the phone number and let you know soon ok? :)

Iamthewitch Reply:

Please see the updated address n phone no above ya :)

• January 13th, 2011 10:23 AM
    WL Chang

Who have the telephone no ???

The telephone number in the blog post at the end is the new phone number. :)

• March 19th, 2011 12:32 PM
    Yvonne Wong

Can i hv the restaurant contact no. (menjalara-kepong)

• April 22nd, 2011 11:00 AM
    NL Song

What is the telephone number for Sin Choi Wah at Kepong?

Phone number is at the end of the post dear :) +603-6277 1222

• June 27th, 2011 3:09 AM
    TheKampungOwl

Great photos. Thanks. Now i wanna hold my next family celebration there.

Thanks for the nice compliment! :)

• June 30th, 2011 3:11 PM
    mich

hi there, may i know how much is the menu price for the food cater above? really looks good for birthday celebration.

• January 2nd, 2012 3:53 PM
    K C Leong

SCW restaurant is a dining experience – grand imposing building yet unassuming staff. A Kepong/Jinjang landmark. Food quality is above average too and not as pricey as Hai Thean restaurant in Equine Park, near Sri Kembangan.

10,000 years, 10,000 years for your Grandma!

Thank you KC! SCW is certainly a landmark!