The Hype about Sushi Zanmai

Whenever I go to One Utama (1 U), I would notice a long queue of people outside Sushi Zanmai Japanese restaurant. And I would think to myself, one day I must try at this place to understand what the hype was about. And finally, one day, after many months, Saucer and I decided to join in the queue for dinner. It seems to me that Sushi Zanmai at 1U is forever crowded! So after patiently waiting for about 10 minutes, we got our table by the kaiten belt.

P1160375

The napkins

We were tempted to order some sushi from the belt, considering they’re sushi experts, but no we didn’t. The sushi plates moving on those belt were not attractive looking at all. They were poorly presented, some with residues at the side of the plate, and many with covers which were reused for the thousandth time. Truly, not a very appetizing sight, so we resorted to ordering from the menu instead.

P1160378

Sushi Zanmai

I saw the Soft Shell Crab Maki and knew I simply had to order it because I love soft shell crab! Also, the presentation on the menu looked pretty, with 6 pieces to boot! Value for money indeed! And thankfully, I wasn’t disappointed. The deep fried soft shell crab was still warm and crispy, with generous amount of meat in each roll. I have had experience with soft shell crab that was cold and tough, so thankfully Sushi Zanmai did this right. At RM6.80, this was definitely better value than any of those from the sushi belt.

P1160379

Soft Shell Crab Maki (RM6.80)

For something more solid, I ordered the Yakiniku Don or rice with beef fillet. The small portion was actually pretty sizable for me, plenty of rice with thinly sliced beef. The beef was done just right, without being gamey but the sauce was not as flavourful.

P1160382

Yakiniku Don (RM10.80 – small)

P1160383

Thinly sliced beef

Saucer had the Unatama Don, which was rice with eel and egg on top. He also had the small portion, which came with several pieces of unagi. My first impression was that the rice was too dry. There wasn’t enough gravy to go around, and the gravy was similarly bland. In fact, I think his rice tasted more bland than mine, such that he had to add some shoyu and sweet sauce to make it edible. Plus, the unagi was not even fresh in the first place.

P1160385

Unatama Don (RM15.80 – small)

The unagi was quite firm and rubbery in texture, much like eating fish cake. Perhaps some people might enjoy it but it’s just weird to me. I definitely think that Sakae Sushi does it so much better when it comes to Don.

P1160389

Rubbery and firm unagi

At the end of the meal, we found that the queue was still there outside the restaurant! Other than the crab maki, I don’t think I would queue for this place again.

P1160391

Sushi Zanmai 1 Utama

Sushi Zanmai
SK 9A, 2nd Floor, High Street,
1 Utama Shopping Centre (New Wing)
Bandar Utama, Selangor,
Malaysia.
Contact No : +603-7724 2030 / +6012-771 2030
Business Hours: Sun-Thurs 10.00 am – 10.00 pm & Fri-Sat 10.00 am – 10.30 pm

• 06.22.10

• June 22nd, 2010 12:03 PM
    Wai Mun

I tried The Gardens Sushi Zanmai before. WIll never step into any shop which bears this name. Awful. Not nice :( The only upside is the price.

LOL! What did you try? I guess only the sushi and rolls are nice?

• June 22nd, 2010 12:07 PM
    isley

oh.. long time dy i din’t step into Suhsi zamai. feeling wanna going to Suhsi Zamai now…

Sounds like you’re a long time fan! :)

• June 22nd, 2010 12:29 PM
    kathy

Looks very nice. Not that expensive. Bet my hubby will love it. Too bad i dont like japanese food.

You don’t like Japanese food? Why not?

• June 22nd, 2010 12:46 PM
    ai wei

taste much much better than the others from the same range too

I guess depends on what you order.. if you talk about rice, I think Sakae Sushi does it better..

• June 22nd, 2010 1:11 PM

No, thanks… Let’s see where you’re going next! LOL!!!

Looks like not a Japanese food fan eh? :P

• June 22nd, 2010 1:44 PM

i guess all the branches are crowded during dinner, same thing at Gardens.. i’ve actually been there twice, quite ok but i won’t purposely queue and waste my time waiting.. i usually prefer going to Pasta Zanmai instead, love the pasta and pizza there.. :)

Well the thing is even after the long queue, I don’t think the food was THAT great. Maybe I should have tried more sushi and maki instead. Or I could try Pasta Zanmai next time to compare :)

• June 22nd, 2010 1:45 PM

wei wei wei.. i tot u said no japanese food for this month dy??? LOL

LOL! You’re right.. no more for this month :P

• June 22nd, 2010 3:35 PM
    KC

Sushi Zanmai’s quality has slightly dropped…I used to like the food here…maybe due to too many branches being opened…

Nowadays, I go to Sushi Tei @ Tropicana City Mall…quality and service is better…

Or you can try Umai-ya @ IOI Boulevard Puchong…hehe…

Yea hard to control quality with more branches? Anyway, I heard a lot of good things on Sushi Tei, I will give it a try some day :) Thanks!

• June 22nd, 2010 3:35 PM
    uLi

The one at The Gardens also always pack lo….but their sushi really good la :)

I didn’t try their sushi, will try it next time :)

• June 22nd, 2010 3:50 PM
    SimpleGirl

i advise you to order sushi, most of their sushi were nice as compared to sushi king. in fact is good because most of their items are cheaper as compared to the same range restaurants. of course, I agree that it’s only the “fast food” type of Japanese food served, surely can;t compare with the fine dining type….this is my personal opinion

Perhaps I should have ordered the sushi, but the presentation of those sushi on the belt was just not very attractive and neat for me to try.

• June 22nd, 2010 7:33 PM
    wyyv

Just been to The Garden franchise on last Saturday. The food was average, but the ambiance are mediocre. Very hot & crowded.. they shud have improve their ventilation.LOL

Really? I haven’t been to the one in Gardens yet… But hot and crowded not a very good environment for meals eh?

• June 22nd, 2010 7:40 PM

oooh, btw, i have fixed the play/pause/stop button problem in my blog already.. you can go again and enjoy the photos, sorry for the trouble.. :p

20.06.2010 | 精悍簡短

OK no problem! :)

• June 22nd, 2010 9:39 PM
    J2Kfm

There were actually some good finds at Sushi Zanmai. One example being the beef salad with their signature dressing (forgot which, this was about a year ago). The sushi rolls are certainly much much better than Sushi king, Genki, and Sakae.
    But of course, there were misses as well. Can’t really hope for the best when dining in a Jap kaiten belt outlet.
    Sushi Tei is good, but I have only been there once, hence can’t judge.

I have to agree the sushi rolls are good, but I guess for the other dishes, I’ve tasted better. I just don’t understand why so many people queue up when the good was not fantastic…

• June 22nd, 2010 10:55 PM
    Vivien

i love sushi zanmai, their price range is affordable and their stuff are fresh

Yea, the price is pretty affordable in general..

• June 22nd, 2010 11:08 PM
    wyyv

i heard from my frends that u need to book in advance if u wan to eat at sushi zanmai coz it always packed with people..

Really? I didn’t know they even allow booking since there’s always a queue outside..

• June 23rd, 2010 12:50 AM
    kenwooi

yeah.. always crowded.. and i’ve never tried sushi zanmai before.. =P

You can give it a try and see what’s the hype about :)

• June 23rd, 2010 1:37 AM
    nrewq

I had the same thought as you. Always seeing the long queue and wonder to myself is it really that good and that i should try it out one day.

Looks like I’ll most prob give this place a miss since I don’t want to be queing for ages.

Yea man.. don’t know why there’s always a line outside. I wonder if it’s because of the name or really because of good food. Don’t think I would wanna queue again…

• June 23rd, 2010 8:42 AM
    lionelong

I rather pay RM29 for Japanese buffet at Kikyo !! lol This is my first and last visit to Sushi Zanmai.

LOL! Buffet again???

• June 23rd, 2010 9:08 AM

The Sushi Zanmai branch in The Gardens is also very busy all the time…. guess it’s the hype with Japanese conveyor belt food.

LOL! We should open a Japanese conveyor belt restaurant then!

• June 23rd, 2010 10:32 AM
    lotsofcravings

i cant get the hype too..the long queue is just so well..not my kinda thing.

Yea I don’t think I would queue again..

• June 23rd, 2010 1:07 PM
    agnes sim

OMG!! Your blog is so interesting. I will link your blog in my personal blog: http://agnes1409.blogspot.com/
    Nice to meet you!! ;-)

Thank you! Nice to meet you too :)

• June 23rd, 2010 2:20 PM
    mimid3vils

You are true, I will see long q whenever I go 1U, but for me their food just so so only, I prefer Pasta Zanmai :)

Pasta Zanmai better eh? I’ll give it a try next time :)

• June 25th, 2010 1:22 PM
    Mommy Ling

Normally we also have the unagi rice…but seems to be ok each time we had. Yes, order the sushi is so much yummier and presentable than the belt one.

Maybe the unagi that we had that night was not that fresh… Perhaps should have ordered the sushi instead :)

• June 26th, 2010 2:43 AM

Honestly speaking, looking at the queue, I won;t even bother! Haha! I hate queues!! No matter how good the food!

Haha I don’t like queuing too but I was just too curious to know what these people were lining up for! :P

• June 26th, 2010 2:50 AM

My brother tried there once and told me the food was lousy so I didn’t go. Lucky me! : )

LOL!

• June 26th, 2010 2:50 AM

I wonder why people still queue up for it!

Beats me!

• June 26th, 2010 2:51 AM

I prefer Pasta Zanmai anytime! Usually go to the one in Mid Valley, How come 1Utama no Pasta Zanmai?

I should try pasta zanmai one day.. most people are giving good comments about it! :)

• June 26th, 2010 2:52 AM

Is Pasta Zanmai and Sushi Zanmai both from the same company?

KC Reply:

Yep, they are from the same group (www.supersushi.com.my)

KC Reply:

Forgot to say…there is a Pasta Zanmai in 1U…it’s just behind Shojikiya…hard to spot…

• June 29th, 2010 1:09 PM
    JoyceW

I like Sushi Zanmai. But I find that when I go during peak times, the stuff I usually order is of lousier quality than when I visit during non-peak periods. Maybe branches matter too. The one in Sunway Pyramid is quite consistent with their quality. :)

Really? Perhaps I should give a visit to the Sunway branch, WHEN there is no queue! LOL!