RM29.90++ Japanese buffet at Kikyo

Kikyo Japanese Restaurant has been around for quite some time in Puchong, but I only discovered it about a few months ago, when I was there for my niece-in-law’s birthday. Fast forward a few months, I passed by the place again and saw the promotion they’re having, which is RM29.90++ for buffet dinner. I, in fact went there with Saucer and mother-in-law during lunch, and found out that the buffet was also available for lunch during weekends! Wonderful.

P1150958

Interior of Kikyo

P1150964

Love at First Bite!

The buffet was actually more like ‘all-you-can-eat’, whereby you can order as much as you want from the 60 choices on the menu. There was no buffet spread whatsoever, so they will only prepare what you want after your order.

P1150969

The buffet menu #1

P1150970

Buffet menu #2

Of course, as with any Japanese buffet, we could not miss out on ordering sashimi, or raw fish! Lucky for us, the Salmon Sashimi we had that day was fresh! The meat was firm instead of squishy, the colour was vibrantly orange! We also had a few servings of the Shiro Maguro Sashimi or Tuna Sashimi, which was above average too.

P1160011

Salmon Sashimi

P1150975

Shiro Maguro (Tuna) Sashimi

The Ebi Fried was pretty good when it’s eaten hot, but let it sit for a while and it became cold and hard. Must consume while it’s hot.

P1150981

Ebi Fried

Edamame – Saucer’s all-time favourite.

P1150983

Edamame

The Chawan Mushi here came in a pretty generous serving! Hidden beneath, I could find a piece of mushroom, a slice of carrot and some minced pork. Most importantly, the egg custard was so soft and smooth that I couldn’t help myself from ordering two!

P1150986

Chawan Mushi

Comparing to the Salmon Sashimi, I thought the Salmon Teriyaki was a notch below in terms of freshness. The teriyaki sauce was pretty good and sweet but the meat was slightly squishy, giving the impression that it’s not that fresh.

P1150989

Salmon Teriyaki

The tempura was nothing to shout about. Again, fried stuff should always be eaten when it’s served to ensure its ultimate crispiness. I thought the prawns were quite fresh, but the batter was just a tad too thick.

P1150993

Tempura Moriawase

Now, as for our favourite order of all – Unagi! This was grilled with sweet sauce and was difficult to resist. Among the 3 adults and 2 kids that we were, I think we ordered easily 20 servings of this! *gasp*

P1150994

Unagi Kabayaki

P1150998

Yaki Tori

If you prefer to eat Salmon with rice, you could opt for Salmon Sushi instead. But a note of warning, the lump of rice attached to it was huge! It would definitely lead you to a fast track to being full.

P1160002

Salmon Sushi

The Tobiko Sushi is another recommended item, which was generously filled to the brim with eggs!

P1150974

Tobiko Sushi

P1160007

Miso Soup

If you’re not a fan of raw fish, there are also a few other choices of cooked fish to choose from such as the Saba, Shake and Shishamo. All of these are extremely good sources of protein!

P1160026

Saba Shioyaki (Grilled Mackerel)

P1160028

Shishamo

P1160030

Shake Kama Shioyaki (Grilled Salmon Head with Salt)

Last but not least, dessert! The only dessert they provide for the buffet is in the form of ice-creams. I particularly liked the Green Tea (Macha) and Black Sesame (Goma) flavours. And guess what? They even have Wasabi Ice-cream! So weird right? But my mother-in-law seemed to enjoy it. I think it was a mixture of wasabi in vanilla ice-cream. Interesting combination indeed.

resize

Ice-creams: Green tea, strawberry, black sesame and wasabi flavours

Overall, I would say that the buffet at Kikyo was a good value for money, considering the amount of sashimi and unagi that you could order and eat! Surely there are the good and the not-so-good picks, but in average, I’d say it’s well worth the money paid. Give it a try to find out!

P1160042

Kikyo Japanese Restaurant, Puchong

NOTE: Buffet only available during dinner (everyday) and lunch (only on weekends).

Kikyo Japanese Restaurant
No. 10, Jalan Puteri 2/2,
Bandar Puteri Puchong,
47100 Puchong,
Selangor,
Malaysia.
Contact no.: +603 – 8060 1766  / +6012 – 627 3459 (Jimmy Yap)
Fax: +603 – 8060 6766
Business Hours: 12pm – 3pm & 6pm – 10.30pm (Closed on Mondays)
GPS: 3.024095,101.616202

• 06.11.10

• June 11th, 2010 10:30 AM

wow..all these .. eat all you can?? worth it for those who loves sushi.. that is my Girl and Boy.. both of them simply loves japanese food..

Yes Claire, eat all you can! :) You should bring your kids here one day :)

cherlie Reply:

wat hours we can eat the price is 29.90??
    and how many hours we can eat???

Dinner starts from 6pm til 10pm if I’m not mistaken. Last time I went, there was no limit on how long we could eat. :)

• June 11th, 2010 10:34 AM

wow, i think it’s very worth at the price of RM29.90++, so they are buffet style (readily served) or all-you-can eat style (prepared upon order)? but again, PUCHONG woh, haiz~~
    .-= [SK]´s last blog ..09.06.2010 | 放假後感 =-.

It’s all-you-can-eat style, so the dishes are only prepared upon your order. :) Puchong not THAT far mar… for this buffet, it’s worth it! :D

• June 11th, 2010 10:50 AM

Ooooo…so very cheap! Japanese restaurants are so expensive – just pick a few things from the menu, already come up to that price. This one, can eat-all-you-can…but then again, I’m not really crazy about Japanese food. LOL!!!
    .-= suituapui´s last blog ..My confession… =-.

Yea in KL, eating a set lunch alone in Japanese restaurant could easily cost RM30 already. This is definitely good value for money.

• June 11th, 2010 11:01 AM
    ai wei

omg omg omg!!! at just rm 30, can have jap buffet ady!!! is this promo still available????

Yes my dear! Still available! :)

• June 11th, 2010 11:08 AM
    isley

what? Japanese buffet only RM29.99+?? good! worth to try!!
    .-= isley´s last blog ..What do i learn after watching Robin Hood (2) =-.

Yea, worth to try! Better do so before they stop the promotion :)

• June 11th, 2010 11:12 AM
    xin

wow!!! seriously 29.90 for buffet? and anothr 50% for lunch?! no joke??? omg!

The 50% is only for a la carte lunch, not applicable for buffet ;)

• June 11th, 2010 11:34 AM
    mimid3vils

who will believe we just need to pay RM29.90++ to eat a Japanese Buffet?
    .-= mimid3vils´s last blog ..Toast & Roast =-.

I couldn’t believe it at first too! That’s why I couldn’t help myself from trying it out! :)

• June 11th, 2010 11:38 AM
    lionelong

Cheap and worth every sen !!

Very worth it! :)

• June 11th, 2010 11:45 AM
    Merryn

Wat???????????? wow.. MUST go! Weekend got ah? Foong are you there? Wanna go? Let’s GO!
    .-= Merryn´s last blog ..Freak Accident at Lutong Traffic Light Junction =-.

Yes, it’s available on weekends too! Lunch AND dinner :)

• June 11th, 2010 12:00 PM
    khengsiong

RM30 for buffet? Now that’s cheap.
    Is o-cha (green tea) included?
    .-= khengsiong´s last blog ..Cameron Highlands revisited =-.

Green tea is available (free flow) at additional RM1 only :)

• June 11th, 2010 12:04 PM
    suhaisweet

u got nice n3..nyum3..peep my latest here Check it Out!

Thanks for visiting!

• June 11th, 2010 12:28 PM

phew~~ lucky ytd just had jap food for lunch, if not sure craving for this so bad! =p
    .-= Caroline´s last blog ..Random things happened in daily life.. =-.

Haha aiya you’re faster than me dy! :P

• June 11th, 2010 12:29 PM
    kathy

so cheap..unbelivable. Will forward to my friends.
    .-= kathy´s last blog ..Mamarazzi’s "Big" Project =-.

Yes, share the good news around :)

• June 11th, 2010 12:35 PM
    Vivien

wow, really cheap… so worth it
    .-= Vivien´s last blog ..Yut Loy/Yat Lai Coffee Shop, Kuala Kangsar, Perak =-.

Yea very worth it! Better try it out before it ends :)

• June 11th, 2010 2:54 PM
    J2Kfm

Indeed value for money. RM30 can’t even buy you a set lunch at some places.
    .-= J2Kfm´s last blog ..A Hidden Gem Named Pu Yuan =-.

I totally agree with you!

• June 11th, 2010 3:25 PM
    taufulou

fuh fuh…for that kind of value..next week can tarik my colleague go makan d~

Yea.. but the buffet is only available at night during weekdays … Lunch buffet is only available during weekends..

• June 11th, 2010 8:23 PM
    nrewq

looks like really good deal! Man, my cholestorol is gonna go thru the roof! lol
    .-= nrewq´s last blog ..Ole! Ole! THE HEAT IS ON-WORLD CUP FEVER @ Bentley’s Pub Hotel Nikko Kuala Lumpur =-.

LOL! What’s this got to do with cholesterol? It’s Japanese food! :)

• June 11th, 2010 9:20 PM
    Irene

WHOA. now that is somewhere we have to go! that is one heck of a good bargain for all that sashimi!

Yes yes very good value for money!

• June 12th, 2010 2:40 AM
    Bangsar-bAbE

RM30 is what I usually pay for a normal Jap lunch set. This is a steal!
    .-= Bangsar-bAbE´s last blog ..Wagyu, from The Land Down Under =-.

I know! I once paid RM40 for a set which wasn’t even very filling :(

• June 12th, 2010 5:41 AM
    thenomadGourmand

Whoa! Nice nice. Must go nx week sicne tis week I’m in Melaka for the weekend!

Not bad huh? For this price to get all-you-can-eat! :)

• June 12th, 2010 2:58 PM
    ayie

for some reason i can’t fancy salmon most esp raw, i cook it or bake it but can’t really eat it raw
    .-= ayie´s last blog ..Damn That Roasted Chicken! =-.

No worries, some people can’t take raw fish too… but this buffet has both raw and cooked version, so they don’t have to worry about that :)

• June 12th, 2010 10:30 PM
    Food Blog Malaysia | Kuala Lumpur and Selangor | Dish With Vivien » Kikyo Ala Carte Japanese Buffet, RM29.90++, Bandar Puteri Puchong, Puchong

[...] about this value for money ala carte japanese buffet from iamthewitch.com, only RM29.90++ for dinner buffet(available everyday) and lunch buffet(for weekend only). According [...]

• June 12th, 2010 11:38 PM
    Shirleen

wow.. the Salmon sashimi looks really really appetizing.. yum!
    .-= Shirleen´s last blog ..After exam fun! :D =-.

Yea, I miss the sashimi!

• June 14th, 2010 2:43 PM

So this good? I really hope so cos once people start blogging about it, the quality will go down!
    .-= foongpc´s last blog ..Random Notes 12 =-.

Well, if you compare the quality to hotels, then it’s different. But I’d say that the quality here is still above average! And for that price? No brainer :)

• June 14th, 2010 2:44 PM

Just look at Jogoya! And Tenji! And a host of other Jap buffet restaurants!

I know what you mean! But those are huge restaurants and I guess it’s harder for them to maintain the quality compared to quaint and cozy restaurant like Kikyo :)

• June 14th, 2010 2:45 PM

ooh! I love unagi. I will surely pile on the unagi if they are available in a buffet!
    .-= foongpc´s last blog ..Random Notes 12 =-.

Me too!! :)

• June 14th, 2010 5:01 PM
    andy

Omg … what a good deal!… May i know..how much for kids?

Erm I’m not sure about that… I guess you’ll have to call to find out ;)

• June 15th, 2010 4:30 PM
    Jesslyn

wow…it’s great. how to go there? hv any map? thx

Hi Jesslyn.. Please click on this link for map, otherwise, please refer to address and GPS coordinate at the end of the post. :)
    Map to Kikyo

• June 27th, 2010 7:56 PM
    saf

hi, i went there last 2 days, in fact, the food is suck…even my fav. salmon sashimi….is very bad….they dont even know how to cut sashimi….omg,,,,overall the foods tasteless… only tuna sashimi acceptable…cant even compare to sushi king quality…29.90 is cheap for japanese buffet…but the food quality not worth it….i will not go again until their foods improve…

Hi saf,
    Thanks for the feedback. I have informed the owner about it and he’s definitely going to look into improving the food quality. :)

• July 4th, 2010 6:49 PM
    Xynth

do they have tax too? btw u meant they are also having buffet dinner at weekends too?

Yes they have tax of 5% + 5% = 10%. And yes, they have buffet dinner on weekends as well :)

• July 8th, 2010 5:35 PM
    k

When will this promotion end? Is it still available in July?

It’s still available now. But if you’re unsure you can call the phone number provided to check with the owner ;)

• July 23rd, 2010 6:03 PM
    Maxx

Plan to visit this place on 1 august. Don’t know the promotion still available or not. What is the lunch and dinner operation time?

• August 2nd, 2010 10:31 AM
    Alfred

I heard the promotion will be extended to Oct due to good response, anyone could verify ?

I’m not really sure Alfred. But I passed by the restaurant last week and saw that the buffet promo banner was already removed. :( Perhaps you could call to confirm.

• August 9th, 2010 2:34 PM
    Wey

The Buffet still going on… they remove the banner because of the MPSJ come to kacau… hehehe!!!!

LOL! Thanks for the info! :)

• August 11th, 2010 5:43 PM
    May Ling

I double checked with Jimmy on last week. They removed the banner because they decided to change the menu… I mean some of the dishes….. Let’s suggest them our favourite…. yummy!!! Change some different fish~~~~ I Love Fish!!!

Wow.. new menu? That’s great! Will go and check it out soon :)

• August 16th, 2010 2:33 AM
    japanese food freak

i did went to this hop today.. the price is cheap and affordable.. there will be a menu for u to order. they will serve once u order… i tried all the food in the menu.. i had tried the wasabi ice-cream as well… so delicious.. i will never forget… really worth it… GOOD SELECTION & GOOD RECOMMENDED SHOP!!!

Hi japanese food freak! You tried ALL the food in the menu? You really can eat! :) I like the wasabi ice-cream too.. very special :)

• August 17th, 2010 10:40 AM
    chinget

hi,

i going to the Kikyo this sunday. hope the new menu will be better than last, dont cut off all nice food…

Let me know of your experience! I would like to know what’s new in the new menu too! :)

• August 21st, 2010 10:54 PM
    babygirl

I just went there just now. The food is really good and fresh. My whole family were pleasantly surprised by its quality. For the price we are paying, this place is definitely worth it! I’m definitely coming back!!

Only bad thing is, most of the waitress don’t smile. Look a bit garang. Only the manager (a lady without uniform) was friendly and polite. :)

Hey there! Great to know they still maintain the quality after so long :) thanks for the info! But I agree with you, most of the waitresses really looked a bit fierce! Lol!

• August 23rd, 2010 4:14 PM
    chinget

hi,

i agree with babygirl too, i went there on sunday. when i try to order 2nd round, the waitress just say “u have to pay if cant finish all!!!”, but actually i came with a big group.

still the same menu. the chawanmushi, beef and Unagi is nice, however the Saba was really not fresh, and i really cant swallow it :( .

I’d say don’t care about the waitress! :) just have fun with the food and company instead! :)

• September 5th, 2010 2:46 PM
    BECKS

rm 30 for dinner buffet? still available on 14 september 2010??

Hi Becks,
    I think it’s still available. It’s an on-going thing. But to be safe, please call the boss Jimmy at the phone number listed at the second page of the post. :)

• September 5th, 2010 3:24 PM
    BECKS

pls reply me asap ya… thanks!

• September 5th, 2010 4:43 PM
    BECKS

is wifi service available there?

• September 7th, 2010 3:14 PM
    Harlo

is wifi service available there?? pls reply ya. thanks =)

Harlo,
    I’m not sure about it. I don’t remember seeing wi-fi service when I was there. Kindly check with the owner Jimmy at +6012 – 627 3459 :)

• September 16th, 2010 1:35 PM
    Matilda

Is the promo still on? Lunch on weekends RM30? Is their quality consistent?

Hi Matilda,
    I think the promo is still on. Please call to reserve and confirm. :) Quality has been decent for the 3 times I went there…

• September 24th, 2010 12:05 PM
    Yoyo

I went there 2 months ago. Overall the food was really salty. Salmon was ok but the unagi was rather disappointing, very small portion and didnt taste good. I hope they can improve their quality. If you’re just there for salmon sashimi, then by all means it’s really worth the price you pay.

• October 4th, 2010 10:38 PM
    teo

need booking????

Recommended to book :)

• October 5th, 2010 3:47 PM
    MrLonely

thanks for the infor.. like Japanese food so much ~ XD

You’re most welcome! :)

• October 6th, 2010 1:20 PM
    桔梗日本料理 @ Bandar Puteri Puchong « 只是一些东东

[...] RM29.90++ Japanese buffet at Kikyo Kikyo Japanese [...]

• October 22nd, 2010 7:04 AM
    Wai

They will give you all the cheap stuff first and especially those with plenty of rice. Those expensive food will be served very much later.

The trick is just to order the expensive food first! ;)

• November 4th, 2010 2:03 PM
    Bluesky

No more RM29.90 liao. Now RM36.90! Heiz…

Really??! Oh dear… :( I didn’t know that…

• November 9th, 2010 2:32 PM
    iwasawitch

just visited yesterday evening.
    price increase to RM36.90+, include green tea/coke

new menu BUT no more my favorite Unagi.. sien.. :(
    only have unagi tofu, sushi.. disappointing..

Really?! What are the items in the new menu? Any new dishes? :)

• November 17th, 2010 3:55 PM
    Sow

yayya…that day i went with my gf but fully booked n that time only notice price increased…

• November 18th, 2010 2:42 AM
    hi

is this place halal?

Hi,
    This place doesn’t serve pork but it sells beer, so it is not technically ‘Halal’. However, they do have Malay staff in the kitchen and the food is pork-free. :)

• November 18th, 2010 8:56 PM
    Christina

Any promotion for coming month.

• December 17th, 2010 8:43 PM
    Da

any fully addres and number ?

Hi Da,
    Full address and phone number is at the end of the post. :) Click on the “Continue to Next Page” for the details ya!

• December 28th, 2010 7:41 PM
    may

will go to try 2nite….

• February 27th, 2011 3:33 PM
    nikel

thanks for this info. have to go there explore explore

• April 14th, 2011 3:51 PM
    Jobless Girl

Hmmm.. 36.90++ still fair price. Just bit concern on the Japanese food now a days due to the radiation.

• July 26th, 2011 11:48 AM
    JO

how about the price per/pax now?

need call for reserve?

I think the price should still be RM36.90++ now. kindly call to enquire and to reserve :)

• October 19th, 2011 2:33 PM
    elaine

budak umur 11 harga berapa

• November 26th, 2011 11:54 AM
    KC

and it’s RM39.90 with effective from Nov 2011, without Unagi!

Oh dear, another increase in price? :( I hope they added something else after taking away the unagi though!

• February 13th, 2012 12:33 PM
    AKC

Visited last saturday..price for buffet dinner increased to rm39.90 already. One word ‘sucks’….’huge’ different between picture and real.

Oh dear, that’s bad news! It saddens me to know that many restaurants don’t maintain the quality and food standards when they become more popular. :(

• February 19th, 2012 5:02 PM
    Mosquitoliw

But i tried in Jan…the food is not bad if compared to other fair price jap buffet..especially their fresh salmon sashimi and tempura moriawase..

• February 19th, 2012 11:32 PM
    Mosquitoliw

today went again, the food is not nice as weekday visit..

That’s too bad.. thanks for sharing! Is the price still RM39.90?

• May 30th, 2012 11:02 PM
    Mosquitoliw

Yes..RM39.90…

• June 18th, 2012 4:37 PM
    wantogojap

really that bad..i worry when u order 2 or 3 same dishes, they only serve 1

I haven’t been there in a while now.. do try it out and leave a comment here to share your experience! :)

Mosquitoliw Reply:

I think go have it during weekdays is nicer the food..from my fren experience and also mine..

• June 18th, 2012 4:39 PM
    wantogojap

kikyo is the cheapest japanese buffet in town……..?

• September 5th, 2012 2:23 AM
    jess

what is the price now??

Hey Jess, apparently it’s RM39.90. Not sure if it’s the same now. Do call up to ask! :)

• June 2nd, 2013 6:11 AM
    Travis

Disappointed at the lady boss service and the food portion and quality!!!Today my parents and I were having a buffet dinner at tis place. We ordered some food but the portion was uneven. Ordered 2 teriyaki salmon which it serves 2 small and thin slices of teriyaki salmon. At that time we thought ok, this is the portion which this restaurant serves. Later on we ordered another 2 plates of shisamo. In the end, it serves like 12 shisamo in 2 plates. That is alot. We tried to finish it and ordered some sushi but the sushi was too sour. We end up put aside the sushi rice. When the time we want to bill, the lady boss told us not to waste food (which is the sushi rice only) and she told us better to go have buffet at other places. She told us not to visit again. I was stun at that time and try to explain to her but it end up she chase me out of her restaurant and said they will only do business with return customer but not new comers. This kind of service still exist in Malaysia? Kikyo, do you really think you are the only japanese buffet restaurant in Malaysia? This is my first and last visit at this place. Last but not least, to all people or new comers if you really want to try or likes to eat at kikyo please go ahead(which I’m not really recommend), I’m not forcing you all not to go. For return customers, if you feel that I’m wrong, please continue to dine in at there and I hope you all won’t get the same bad service as me. If you feel the same thing as me, I recommend you to have your dinner buffet at Maiu Japanese Restaurant which located at Petaling Jaya. At least the service is good(at least they won’t chase you out), quality of food(sushi rice) won’t that sour.

That is a really horrible experience! I feel so sorry that you were treated that way by the staff. That’s the thing with restaurants, high quality service is usually hard to maintain. I certainly hope there are not many cases like you who got chased out of the restaurant!

• March 1st, 2014 8:38 PM
    Yap mou teck

How about one family with 3 kids and father/mother in law,is that any offer by today? To..fr yap 019 2284722