Hong Kong Day 5 – Dim Sum, Stanley Market, Yung Kee & Lan Kwai Fong

Day 5! Before I continue, let me show you a picture of Saucer’s prized possessions! Well, ONE of them anyway. Remember I mentioned in my previous post that he ended up buying a good 4 pairs of shoes??? Here is his favourite! Bought them from Timberland outlet for only HKD250 (~RM120)! So very cheap right! And it’s apparently as light as air. *LOL*

P1060661

Timberland Golite shoes

For breakfast, our plan was to try the famous Hong Kong dim sum in the restaurants. But before that, Saucer spotted something he wanted to try. The Pacific Coffee Company! We actually saw quite a number of this shop around in Hong Kong, and Saucer vowed that he simply had to try it one of the days. Since we saw it in 1Peking mall, he wasted no time and purchased this mocha drink (I think).

P1060531

Pacific Coffee Company at 1Peking, TST

I personally found it nothing too special compared to the typical Starbucks or Coffee Bean ice-blended. It was more expensive too, with the smallest size already costing around HKD30.

P1060533

Ice-blended mocha

After that, we went to Royal Palace restaurant at 1 Peking, Tsim Sha Tsui, as recommended by one of the locals there. Located on the 9th floor, this place was posh with chandeliers and a magnificent view of the ocean. We were there after 10am, where there was a promotion going on with each plate of dim sum (except special dishes) costing only HKD13.80.

P1060534

Glass panels everywhere overlooking the sea

P1060535

Wedding banquet preparation

P1060536

Chandeliers

P1060537

Promotion menu

P1060538

Table settings

Bless me for knowing how to read a teeny weeny bit of Chinese! Otherwise, I wouldn’t have known what the promotion went. Alas, my knowledge only went that far, for after that, we had to tick our orders on an order chit, which was in Chinese! *gasp* It was a list of gibberish to me, with the price on the right, and we’re supposed to put down the quantity that we wanted on the side. How was I going to order without knowing how to read? I asked for help from a waitress but she kept pointing me to the most expensive items on the menu. *sigh* In the end, I had to thicken my face and asked her to read to me line by line, what the items meant. Of course, it went without saying that her face started to grow blacker and blacker, but ah, who cares!

We started with ‘har kau’, or prawn dumplings, which is a must-order dish in dim sum outlets. The ‘har kau’ here was magnificent. So huge and filled with huge shrimps which were succulent and fresh! The skin was translucent, something that required high level of skills. Simply balls of paradise, in the dim sum world.

Day5

Enjoying har kow

We also had the Shanghai xiao long bau, which was quite terrible! The skin was too thick, and once it’s cold, it became almost rock-hard! Plus there was no soup inside the dumpling also. A mistake order.

Day510

Shanghai xiao long bau

The fried prawn rolls with sesame seeds were pretty good. Very crispy skin and succulent prawns, as with anything with prawns there. I came to believe that anything with prawns wouldn’t go wrong in dim sum places.

Day52

Fried prawn roll with sesame seeds

Next, another failed order – cheong fun with BBQ pork (char siew) filling. The cheong fun (rice sheet) was just too thick and bland. Plus, the char siew was nothing special too. I think we didn’t even finish this dish.

Day51

Cheong fun with BBQ pork filling

The siew mai, on the other hand, was fabulous! The size was huge and the filling was generous! Layers of pork, prawn and more pork, wrapped with care and topped with fish eggs on top. Very fulfilling and delicious.

Day57

Siew mai

We ordered the vegetarian ‘woh tip’/gyoza/dumplings that we saw from a neighbouring table. They turned out to be not bad, though a little on the oily side. Fillings were pretty generous though, with water chestnut and ‘kow choy’ (I wonder what’s that in English).

Day58

Vegetarian dumpling

Of course, how could I miss ordering the famous ‘char siew pow’ when I was in a dim sum restaurant! Luckily, the buns here were pretty good! The fillings were flavourful and the bread was firm but soft. Makes sense?

Day59

Char siew pow (BBQ pork dumpling)

Royal Palace restaurant, located at 1Peking mall in TST. My advice, just order the ‘har kow’, ‘siew mai’ and ‘char siew pow’ and you’ll thank me for them. :)

P1060567

Royal Palace restaurant

Royal Palace restaurant
9F, 1 Peking Road,
Tsim Sha Tsui

After the filling meal, we’re off to take the bus! This time, we’re headed towards Stanley market. To get there, the only public transport available is the bus service. 3 alternatives to get there:

1. MTR Hong Kong Station Exit D and take bus 6, 6A, 6X, 66 or 260 at Exchange Square Bus Terminus.
2. MTR Causeway Bay Station Exit B, walk to Tang Lung Street then take green minibus 40.
3. Bus 973 from Tsim Sha Tsui East Bus Terminus or Canton Road outside Silvercord Centre.

The bus ride took about 40 minutes and the journey was very similar to the road going towards Batu Feringghi in Penang! Uncanny! A little winding, narrow road, with sea view on the right.

Day53

witch at Stanley Market

Stanley market was also very similar to the Batu Feringghi night market, except that it only opens during the day time. I enjoyed walking along the quiet stretch of sidewalk along the sea, with the sea breeze blowing to my face. The place was generally filled with tourists since it’s a tourist attraction centre. Stalls and stalls selling souvenirs, clothes, bags, shoes, etc were found in the market.

Day54

Surroundings of Stanley

Although not many people might find Stanley interesting, I actually enjoyed the atmosphere there. The peace, the serenity, the silence, a total opposite from the always bustling HK centre. In fact, I saw a couple taking wedding photographs at Stanley! So very cute! Truth be told, there’s nothing much to be done here except for walking by the sea, shopping at the market or eating at the row of restaurants facing the sea. If you’re very rich, perhaps you might have the chance to go sailing in the sea, just like in the boat below.

P1060609

Rich man’s boat

P1060583

Serene walkway

P1060584

Calm waters

And if you’re like us, who wanted to get a drink by the sea but didn’t want to pay exorbitant prices at the bars, you can choose to buy drinks from the nearby supermarket, and drink them wherever you want.

P1060588

Saucer with San Miguel beer

Drink beer while enjoying soothing scenery, waters and fishing boats.

P1060600

Fishing boats near the pier

P1060601

View of the rocky seaside

P1060605

witch and half-drunk Saucer :P

Before leaving Stanley, we thought we had to do at least once what most Hongkies do, well, at least, on TV. We ate the instant food from 7-11! I chose the chicken mushroom rice, which came out to be quite a huge portion.

Day55

Saucer preparing chicken mushroom rice

P1060619

Pouring sauce over cooked rice

Yum! The rice turned out to be not that bad. I know it’s not something new, but the experience definitely was!

We then took a bus back to the city, this time to Central. Ah look at this giant Coach store blazing the city night view. So pretty.

P1060621

Coach store

While hunting for where to eat, we stumbled upon Yung Kee without having the intention to! In fact, we’re trying to look for something new to try, then we saw the giant Yung Kee signboard, and we couldn’t help but stop to take a look. I have read too much about this famous restaurant to know that they charge cutthroat prices for their goose. We thought of just buying half a goose and takeaway, but once we’re in, ah, the heck with it! So we just sat down, amidst of an almost full-house restaurant. Hongkies are really rich!

P1060622

Table settings

P1060623

The menu

P1060624

The grand entrance and receptionist

We browsed through the menu and indeed, everything was super expensive! We ordered 1/4 of  a roasted goose for HKD140. *gasp* But it was extremely juicy and delicious. The skin was roasted perfectly, and the layer of fat just beneath the skin was just so sinful.

P1060625

1/4 roasted goose

P1060627

Closer look at the expensive goose

Apart from that, we also ordered a plate of ‘choy sum’, which was very fresh and green.

P1060631

Choy sum vegetables

P1060632

Yung Kee at Central

P1060635

Roasted geese at Yung Kee

Yung Kee
32-40 Wellington Street
Central

Last stop for the night was at Lan Kwai Fong, famous for their late night entertainment. We were there at about 9pm but the streets were still relatively quiet.

Day56

Saucer and witch at Lan Kwai Fong

Frankly, I didn’t find Lan Kwai Fong to be too interesting. It’s just like Bangsar, with lots of pubs, bars and clubs. Perhaps it was still too early, so I wasn’t in the mood for drinks.

P1060638

Lan Kwai Fong

P1060641

Lan Kwai Fong

P1060647

Quiet streets

P1060650

Another angle of Lan Kwai Fong

P1060656

witch with the red HK taxi

Oh and guess what? I saw California Fitness there too! It’s exactly the same logo with the one we have in Malaysia. Or should I say, ‘Had’. California Fitness had since been bought over by Celebrity Fitness, hence marking its demise in Malaysia. *aww*

P1060657

California Fitness in Central

The California Fitness in Central is HUGE!

P1060658

California Fitness gym

That marked the end of our 5th day outing. We actually went back and came out again for desserts of ‘tong sui’ but I forgot to bring out my camera then. No pictures! Anyway, this was the MTR we took on the way back. Relatively quiet at night compared to the sardine-packed trains in the morning.

P1060659

MTR at night

Next post will be on HK Disneyland! Watch out!

*Note: Read the rest of my Hong Kong Escapade here!

• December 2nd, 2009 7:00 PM
    ladyviral

didn’t join int he hongkies for a beer or two? hehe

lan kwai fong allow cars to go in now? It used to be blocked up last time i was there.
    .-= ladyviral´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday : Jump =-.

Hmm it seemed to allow cars to pass through, though not many cars did. Did you enjoy a beer with the hongkies back then? :)
    .-= iamthewitch´s last blog ..Hong Kong Day 6 – Disneyland and more! =-.

• December 2nd, 2009 8:12 PM
    Christine

the timberland shoes so cheap! i oso wanna get. hehe
    and those HK dim sum.. feel like having them now.
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Ten Hup Hong Kong Chee Cheung Fun @ Kajang =-.

Oh yes, terribly cheap! I would have bought a pair too, only thing I don’t really wear shoes. :P

• December 2nd, 2009 11:10 PM

didn’t stop by Repulse Bay enroute to Stanley??
    did you go for a drink in LKF?? haha, i normally get beer from the 7-Eleven at the entrance, and then walk along, consider “having drink” there :p
    .-= [SK]´s last blog ..01.12.2009 | ???? =-.

Well didn’t really stop by Repulse bay, but saw many houses along the way. Haha I already drank a beer before that so no more beers for me in LKF! :P

• December 3rd, 2009 12:07 AM
    Irenelim

All right, I ordered ‘har kow’, ’siew mai’ and ‘char siew pow’ and thank you very much for the treat. :)
    .-= Irenelim´s last blog ..Lovely Chic Blouse O-Ring Racerback =-.

Hehe no problem Irene! :P

• December 3rd, 2009 4:15 AM
    Yin Hoon

If I’m not mistaken, ‘kow choy’ is called ‘leek’ in English.
    .-= Yin Hoon´s last blog ..A wet visit =-.

I see, thanks for the info! :)

• December 3rd, 2009 11:20 AM
    xin

HK looks really fun!!!!! i think i MUST go there next next year or something.
    .-= xin´s last blog ..Part II:Pocket-friendly Latin American Food- The Shepherdoo Restaurant @ CentroMall Klang =-.

Yes you MUST go! I think you’ll love it!

• December 3rd, 2009 1:30 PM
    Big Boy Oven

wow! awesome awesome, this makes me wanting to be in Hong Kong!
    .-= Big Boy Oven´s last blog ..WEDDING CAKES at Prince Hotel =-.

Hehe why not??? :)

• December 3rd, 2009 7:59 PM
    J2Kfm

I am kicking myself for missing the other ‘Outlet’ type of stores in HK. Only shopped in Esprit and G2000.
    Cheap, and fashion nicer than what we have here. Aiks.
    .-= J2Kfm´s last blog ..Ming Court Hong Kong Dim Sum @ Ipoh =-.

No need for kicking! Everyone can fly now with AirAsia, no? Hehe.. You’ll never get enough of HK anyway. :)

• December 3rd, 2009 11:32 PM
    CheaHS@n

Whoa! Love HKG thanks for the post am going places learning new happenings, yummy food and yeah, very interesting to note the 7-11 instant food think over time someone will follow soon. :p
    .-= CheaHS@n´s last blog ..? ANGKLUNG =-.

You’re welcome! Yea I’m sure we’ll have more instant food in 7-11 stores soon. :)

• December 4th, 2009 3:45 AM
    ayie

hi witch1 It didn’t help me feel good looking at all the foods because those nice delicacies are not available around here, a bit hard to get =( plus doctor’s strict nutrition guide. But seeing all made me smile too coz I know what to look forward to next time i come back there! Good for you that you know to read chinese, my disadvantage =(
    .-= ayie´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday: Waiting =-.

Hey girl, what nutrition guide are you following? Hopefully it’s only temporary, else you’re missing on a whole lot of good food! :)

ayie Reply:

My doctor said I have gestational diabetis due to pregnancy do I have to watch my sugar levels. Yes I’m missing out alot of great foods but about 2 more months and things will be more or less normal.
    .-= ayie´s last blog ..Poker Face =-.

• December 4th, 2009 8:56 AM
    Khengsiong

Was it very cloudy on this day? The sky doesn’t look great in your photos.

You’re right.. it was quite cloudy, but luckily it didn’t rain. :)

• December 4th, 2009 12:33 PM
    kelvin

The taxis in HK is a bloodsucker, i remembered paying a few hundreds of HK$$ last time…
    their mtr is spacious though, is it coz of no one?
    .-= kelvin´s last blog ..The world is changing? Or it always been like that. =-.

Really? I didn’t take any taxis in HK, simply because the MTR was convenient enough. :) But a few hundreds for taxi ride is really blood sucking! Well their MTR width is the same as our LRT, but the length is so much longer!

• December 4th, 2009 2:08 PM
    annant

cheecheongfun!!! charsiewpao!!!
    *drools*
    why is everybuddy goes to hk one! i also want…but no moolah T________T
    .-= annant´s last blog ..22 Things to Commemorate My 22nd =-.

Start saving now! *LOL*

• December 4th, 2009 6:16 PM
    vialentino

wah…makan, jalan jalan, scenery…wat a holiday blast…with the food pics…u making me drooling now only.

oh yeah, the bamboo charcoal no effect on fridge also ler…but works in the car itself…
    .-= vialentino´s last blog ..Krabi Road Food hunting and Swimming =-.

Hehe you also had a great trip in Krabi! :)

• December 5th, 2009 6:34 PM
    molly

Oh, I love dim sum. Nice pictures!
    .-= molly´s last blog ..Money Can Buy =-.

Thanks molly :)

• December 7th, 2009 12:31 AM

Wow! Saucer really got a great deal for his shoes! Only RM120!

So the mocha was nothing special?

The har kau looks delicious! I want! I want!

How come there’s no soup in the xiao long bao? I think Dragon I makes better xiao long bao right? So not everything is better in HK! Haha

OK, next time I go Royal Palace will just order the ‘har kow’, ’siew mai’ and ‘char siew pow’ and I’ll thank you for it! LOL!

Yea mocha is quite similar to the Coffee Bean mocha here. You’re right, I think Dragon I XLB is much better than the one I tried. :P

• December 7th, 2009 12:32 AM

Stanley Market is like Batu Ferringhi market? Interesting!

Wow! The roasted goose looks delicious and pricey!!

Can’t wait for your Disneyland post! : )

Yes, really like Batu ferringhi! Even the roads leading to Stanley is similar! *LOL* Disneyland post is up! :)

• December 7th, 2009 12:33 AM

Aiya! Should have asked you all to buy me a few pair of shoes then I can sell them here at Malaysian prices! LOL!

Hehe yea hor.. next time you give me your shoe size. :P

• December 22nd, 2009 12:28 AM
    zewt

yung kee… super cut throat but a must visit… yummm…

arent u disappointed that LKF is only… tat short haha!
    .-= zewt´s last blog ..GST – the compelling reason =-.

You’re right zewt.. I was expecting LKF to be much bigger and longer, at least more than our very own Bangsar. :P
    .-= iamthewitch´s last blog ..Princely Wedding Fair 2010 =-.

• March 29th, 2010 4:33 AM
    Vince

Just a question, where did Saucer get his very cheap Timberland shoes? :)

At the Timberland outlet store in Citygate Outlets. :)

Vince Reply:

Thanks! Actually, we’re a couple based in SG. We’re scheduled to visit HK for 3 days.. that’s in a few weeks time.. Still cramming for an itinerary which is good enough to experience the best of HK in 3 days.. :(

No worries! Check out my HK blog posts and choose only those that you’re interested in to go. :) And most importantly have fun!!!

• March 30th, 2010 3:38 AM